Ent. Malcolm Reed - Post-Mission Cuddles

"Please come to bed," you begged as you watched your boyfriend at his desk with a PADD in his hands.

"I'll be there in a second," Malcolm replied, though you knew he wouldn't. "I just have to finish this report for the captain."

You sighed heavily. "Mal, the report can wait. Come to bed."

Malcolm didn't respond. Typical of him when he was so fixed on finishing something. You stood and went to him, wrapping your arms around his shoulders from behind.

"Malcolm," you murmured, "a few hours ago you were being attacked down on a strange planet. You were captured and you were tortured until a rescue party got you out."

"I should have fought harder," Malcolm whispered, shaking his head.

"Stop that. You fought as hard as anyone else could have. You did everything you could have done, which is what you always do." You kissed his cheek gently. "Please come to bed and cuddle. You need to relax, not work more."

Malcolm looked down at the PADD and sighed. "I guess you're right."

You smiled and pulled him to the bed. You let him lie down first, then you settled down beside him. "Do you want to be the little spoon or the big spoon?" you asked.

"Little?" he asked softly, almost afraid to let down his tough-guy act around you, even though you've seen him at his worst plenty of times.

You nodded and wrapped your arms around his torso while he shifted so his back was facing you. You slowly ran your fingers across his abdomen and felt him suck his teeth. "Sorry," you quickly said. "Still sore?"

"Just a bit," Malcolm admitted. "I'll be fine."

You moved your hands away from the healing bruise and rest them on his ribs. "How do you feel? Other than sore."

You felt him shrug. "A bit tired."

"Mal, I know you're angry at yourself," you said softly. "But what happened down on the planet wasn't your fault. It wasn't any of your faults. None of you could've known."

Malcolm sighed heavily. "Thank you, Y/N. I just can't help it. I'm the armory officer. I'm supposed to protect others, and make sure they stay safe and unharmed."

"But you did. The aliens didn't hurt anyone but you because of your need to protect others." You leaned your head against his back and listened to his heartbeat. "I know I've said this before, but I was so scared while you were down there. I heard you had gotten captured and I guess I started thinking of the worst."

Malcolm held your hands and gave them a gentle squeeze. "I came back, just like I've always promised."

"I know," you said slowly. "And I know nothing I can say will make you stop protecting others and being the punching bag when aliens feel the need to torture someone ... but I just get so scared ... I worry that someday you might not come back to me."

Malcolm was silent for a few minutes. He rubbed his thumb over your knuckles before saying, "I'll always come back to you, Y/N. I promise you. I promise from now on I won't put myself in so much danger that I wouldn't come back, and I won't take on anything I can't handle."

You smiled slightly. "But that won't stop you from playing the hero, will it?"

Malcolm's back vibrated as he chuckled. "No, I suppose it won't."

"As much as I hate seeing you get hurt, as long as you survive it and come back to me, I'll deal with your heroic nature." You kissed his shoulder softly. "I do like getting to help Phlox heal your injuries and lecture you in the process."

Malcolm chuckled again. "Ah yes, the beloved lectures."

"And then there's the after-mission cuddles, like now. Which are, by the way, my favourite."

"I quite enjoy them, as well," Malcolm said. "It makes everything I endure on the mission worth it."