TNG. Reginald Barclay - Unexpected

A/N: Female reader

You paced back and forth in the quarters you shared with Reg, anxiety and excitement rushing through your system. He had just gotten off work, and you knew he was on his way home. He would be there any minute, which meant you didn't have much time to think of what to tell him. You'd been trying to figure that out for the past half hour, ever since you left sickbay. How would he react? Would he freak out? Reg wasn't exactly the calmest person ever. What if—

The door opened and Reg stepped inside. "Y/N?" he called.

You stepped into view, forcing a smile onto your face. "Hey. How was your shift?"

"It was decent," he replied, taking the jacket of his uniform off. "How was yours?"

"Uh, great. Nothing exciting really happened. Y'know, just plain, boring, routine stuff," you rambled, playing with your fingers nervously.

Reg furrowed his brow and approached you. "Y/N? Everything okay? You seem nervous. And believe me, I know what nervousness looks like."

This was it. "Uh. Yeah, no, um. I just came from sickbay, and—"

"Oh no, what's wrong?" he asked, taking your arms gently. He looked you over. "Are you hurt? Sick?"

"No, Reg, I'm fine," you assured him. You took in a deep breath. "I just uh... I'm pregnant."

His eyes widened nearly twice their normal size. His mouth opened slightly and he stared at you.

"Is it... is it mine?" he asked quietly.

You laughed briefly. "What kind of question is that? Of course it is. And before you freak out, Beverly says he or she is perfectly healthy. I'm six weeks along. I told her I didn't want to know the gender. Not yet anyway. I want you to be there with me when we find out."

"W-we... we're having a-a baby," he said, voice quiet.

You took his hands, giving them a small squeeze. His hands were clammy, though yours probably were, too. "I know it's a bit unexpected... But I know we'll be amazing parents. Reg, you're going to be such a great father."

"You're pregnant," he mumbled. He then quickly let go of your hands and knelt down in front of you. He gently lifted your shirt and touched your stomach lightly. "Hi... I-I'm your dad..."

You smiled, tears welling in your eyes. You put your hand over his. "We can't wait to meet you, little one."