Ent. Jonathan Archer - Horseback Riding

You watched as Jon's horse cantered up ahead, gaining speed on your grazing mare. You stroked her mane and gave a slight pull on the reins. She responded by speeding up.

"Isn't this great?" you called out to Jon.

He turned his head to look at you and smiled widely. "It's amazing, Y/N! I'm so glad you brought me along."

Your horse was now a few metres from Jon's. "Well, I can't visit Earth without going for a ride."

Jon grinned. "Too bad Porthos couldn't tag along. He would have loved it with these beauties."

You laughed softly. "I don't think the horses would like an energetic beagle running around their hooves."

Jon laughed with you. "Fair enough."

"Race you to that tree over there," you challenged, pointing to a large oak on the other side of the field.

"You're on." He turned and positioned his horse in the right direction—though, it took him a few minutes as he wasn't completely used to steering a live animal.

You smirked as you waited for his horse to be ready. "All good?" you asked when Jon stopped struggling with the reins.

He huffed softly. "Think so. On the count of three?"

You nodded. "One ... two ... three ... go!"

You jerked the reins and your mare took off. You heard John swear quietly before the sound of his horse running filled your ears. You swerved your horse around a rock and redirected her back towards the tree.

You could tell Jon was trying to keep up, for he kept chanting, "Come on! Hya! Hya!"

You spared him a glance for a brief moment. Jon was leaning to the left and pulling on the reins for his horse to turn left. He was pulling too hard for such a slight curve around a rock. You slowed your horse instantly, fearing the worst. Jon was leaning to the left too much—he was supposed to lean to the right slightly.

Jon's horse jerked to the left suddenly and Jon yelled in surprise. He was thrown off the horse and fell onto his side on the ground. You gasped and lead your horse towards him. When you reached him, you jumped off and knelt down. "Shit, Jon, are you okay?"

He groaned quietly and sat up, only to hiss in pain when he leaned against his wrist.

You frowned. "Dammit. You might have broken it."

Jon shook his head. "It's just a sprain. Trust me, I know what a break feels like and it doesn't feel like that."

"I'm sorry," you mumbled out, gently touching his side that he landed on. He winced, but you didn't feel any broken bones.

"Not your fault, Y/N," Jon said quickly, shooting you a small smile. "Guess I'm just not a good rider, huh?"

You frowned and cupped his face in your hand. "I shouldn't have challenged you to the race. I should've known you weren't ready to go that quickly. I'm so sorry. Let's bring the horses back to their barns, get you to a medbay and fix you up."

Jon let you help him to his feet. "It isn't your fault, babe, okay? I don't blame you, and neither should you. It was just a silly accident that could have happened to anyone. Besides, you know what's good about getting injured?"

Your eyebrows furrowed. "What?"

He smiled cheekily. "We can cuddle back at my place. For the rest of the day."

You smiled softly. "Yeah, I guess that's one good thing about this."