TNG. Data - First Date

ElfQueenWarrior requested this. It is a part 2 of "Data - First Meetings" which is linked to this chapter.

"I had a great time," you said to Data as the two of you rode the turbolift down to the transporter room.

"It was enjoyable," Data agreed. "I found it quite fascinating to learn more about you."

You smiled. "I liked getting to know you, too."

The turbolift suddenly jolted to a stop, sending you tumbling into Data who caught you with android-fast reflexes.

"Thanks," you mumbled, awkwardly pushing yourself off of him.

"You are welcome. Are you hurt?"

You shook your head. "No, I'm fine. Are you?"

"I am an android," he said. "I am not able to get hurt. Although, I am not damaged."

You smiled slightly. "Well, that's good. What happened?"

"I am uncertain." Data went to the panel on the wall and tried pushing a button, though nothing happened. "Strange. It appears as though the turbolift is offline."

You frowned.

"Data to the bridge."

"Picard here."

"Lieutenant Y/L/N and I are in a turbolift which appears to be malfunctioning. We were on our way to the transporter room when it halted all movement," Data said.

"A conduit blew while an engineering team was working on repairs," Picard said. "The transporter is offline, as well. I'm afraid you two will have to stay put for the time being. Geordi tells me everything should be fixed within the hour."

"Was anyone hurt?" you asked.

"Only a few minor injuries," Picard replied. "I apologize for any inconvenience."

"It is quite all right, Captain," Data said. "We are both all right and are not in any danger."

"Y/L/N, I will contact the station and alert them of the situation."

You nodded in understanding, even though he couldn't see you. "Thank you, Captain."

"I will keep you two updated. Picard out."

You sighed and leaned against the wall. "I guess the universe just doesn't want our date to end, huh?"

Data looked at you. "The universe had no influence on what has happened. The captain said—"

"It's just an expression," you said. "You know, kind of like fate?"

Data tilted his head. "Ah. So, you believe our fate is to be stuck in the turbolift together?"

You smiled slightly. "You never know."

"Hm."

You sat down and patted the floor beside you. "Have a seat, Data. It sounds like we're going to be here for a while."

"I do will not tire," he said, then added, "Though if you wish for me to join you on the floor, I will oblige."

You smiled when he sat next to you.

"It's just easier to talk to each other if we're both sitting," you told him.

"You wish to spend our time in here talking?" he asked, not unkindly or in a judging manner.

You nodded sheepishly. "If that's okay with you. We don't have to, of course."

"I would find it enjoyable to talk to you."