AOS/TOS. Leonard "Bones" McCoy - "I'm going to take care of you."

Bones hovered over you worriedly, eyes wide and brow furrowed. "Y/N, can you hear me?"

You grunted. "I'm bleeding, I'm not deaf."

He shot you a look. "Just making sure you're still conscious."

"Mm'fine."

"You're not fine, dammit," he snapped. "Your side is bleeding gallons! If I don't stop the bleeding you could die, Y/N."

You sighed slowly, trying your best to ignore the searing pain. "Has anyone ever told you that you have a terrific bedside manner?"

Bones frowned, waving his handheld scanner over your body. Without the proper technology back onboard the Enterprise, he had to make do with the supplies in his small medkit. "No organs were punctured, so that's good."

"Great." Your eyes started to shut.

"No!" he shouted, putting a hand on your cheek. "No, Y/N, I need you to stay awake."

"Why?" you mumbled. "I might die anyway. Might as well go in my sleep."

"Stop that," he said, becoming sullen. "You're not going to die. I'm going to take care of you, okay? I won't let you die."

You opened your eyes slightly and looked to him. "Okay. I'll try to stay awake. But I don't know how much longer I can go without passing out."

Bones nodded curtly, knowing full well you were suffering from severe blood loss and possibly a concussion. "Just focus on me, okay? Keep your eyes open and keep them on me." He got out the tools necessary for removing the weapon from your side and closing the wound.

"Hey Len?"

He looked at you questioningly. "Yeah?"

"If I don't make it—"

"You're going to make it."

You shook your head. "If I don't. I just want to tell you... I love you."

You saw a tidal wave of emotions rush through his eyes. His mouth tightened and you saw his eyes glaze over. He cleared his throat and blinked quickly. "I... I love you, too, Y/N."

You smiled softly. "If I make it, you should take me on a fancy date."

"When you make it, I'm taking you on the fanciest date you could ever imagine. I'll show you just how much you mean to me, and how much I love you."

A/N: I woke up this morning to see that this book reached 1,000 reads! Gosh, that's insane. Thank you all so much. xx