Disco. Saru - Christmas Gifts

A/N: Right, so clearly it isn't Christmas. This was requested on my tumblr last Christmas, and was written and posted there around that time, soo yeah. Hope you enjoy anyway.

Saru sat next to Michael in the messhall and said, "May I ask you a question?"

Michael looked up from her PADD and shrugged. "About what?"

"Y/N," Saru answered. "I understand you two are quite close."

With the mention of your name, Michael put her PADD down. "What about them?"

"I was wondering if you had any ideas of what I should get them for Christmas. Since we will be stopping at Earth in a few days, I decided to get her something from there," Saru replied, looking hopefully at his companion.

Michael's mouth twitched. "Well, what kind of present did you want to give to them?"

Saru thought for a moment, then said, "Something they will enjoy. Something that won't just sit around their quarters and collect dust. I want it to be an item that means something to them."

"What about a book?"

"A... book?"

"A physical copy of a story; not on a PADD. They used to be very popular in Earth's past. They're made of paper," Michael explained. "Y/N likes to read. Maybe you could find their favourite story. Or if that doesn't work out just get them jewelry or a cute plant for their room."

"Hm." Saru looked thoughtful. "Thank you, Michael. You have been most helpful."

"Oh, Saru, you didn't have to get me anything!" you exclaimed as he placed a wrapped gift in your lap. It wasn't the prettiest wrapping job, but it warmed your heart that he put so much effort into your present.

"I wanted to," he replied, sitting next to you. "I wish to participate in your cultural practices."

You smiled widely and unwrapped the present. It was a classic edition of your favourite book. The cover was even the original design. You ran your finger over its spine in awe. "Oh, Saru... It's amazing. Where did you find this?"

"I found an antique store on Earth when we stopped there. They were able to track down a copy of this for me." He looked at you. "Do you like it?"

You met his gaze, a smile spread across your face. "I love it. And I love you."

You kissed him softly and he put his hand on your thigh.

"I love you, as well, Y/N," he said. "Merry Christmas."