Voy. Chakotay - Near Death Confessions

Chakotay's eyes looked worriedly at the wound you received from a rough landing. During the landing, a broken piece of shuttle hull had wedged itself into your side. Chakotay bit down on his lip, looking at the piece of hull that stuck out from your skin. Blood was seeping through your uniform, leaking from the edges of the wound.

"Take it out," you begged, leaning your head back against the floor of the shuttle. "Please."

"You could bleed out, Y/N," he said slowly. "I don't know if I can take it out. It...it looks like it's in there pretty deep. If I take it out and can't stop the bleeding..."

You sucked in a shaky breath. "It hurts. It hurts so bad. Please, Chakotay, take it out."

He rummaged through the medkit. "I have the tools to stop the bleeding, I just don't know if it's possible."

"Please," you whispered.

"Y/N, if I take it out, and can't stop the bleeding." He paused and swallowed thickly. "I...I wouldn't be able to forgive myself."

"If you leave it in, it could get infected," you argued weakly, knowing full well that the shuttle hull was nearly as clean as the tools in sickbay.

Chakotay gave you a look. "I can't afford to lose you."

"You won't," you told him firmly. "I don't plan on dying." You winced. "Please, take it out."

He inspected the wound closely before taking in a deep breath. "All right. I'll take it out, but you have to promise me not to die."

You offered him a small smile, though you knew it wasn't very convincing. "I promise."

He nodded and offered you his hand. "This will hurt."

"It all ready hurts," you said, though you took his hand.

He took the piece of hull in his other hand. He squeezed your hand as he pulled the hull out of you. You screamed loudly, gripping Chakotay's hand tightly. He worked quickly to close the wound, watching anxiously as blood spilled out of it.

"You're going to be okay," he whispered. "You'll be fine."

You grunted, feeling your eyes shut. All of your energy suddenly left you, and you felt your mind grow heavy and clouded.

"No," Chakotay exclaimed. "No, Y/N, stay with me."

"I'm just shutting my eyes," you muttered.

"No, dammit, don't die on me!"

You groaned quietly, feeling his hands the medical tools work at your wound.

"You can't die," he said so softly, you almost didn't hear him. "I love you, dammit. You can't die on me. You can't. You promised."

You tried to speak, but blacked out before anything could leave your mouth.

Your eyelids started to flutter open, and you felt a warm hand place itself onto your shoulder instantly. "Y/N? Can you hear me?"

"Mm." You slowly forced your heavy eyelids to open. You looked up to see Chakotay hovering over you, his eyebrows furrowed in concern.

"Y/N?" he asked, voice hoarse. "Are you okay?"

You nodded slightly. "I think so. What happened?"

"You passed out," he told you, helping you sit up slightly and lean against the wall of the shuttle. "Either from blood loss or the pain. I gave you a hypospray to help with the pain, but you might still feel stiff and groggy for a bit."

"Thank you," you said softly.

"How do you feel?"

"As good as I can," you answered truthfully.

He nodded slowly. "Thank God. I was so worried."

You smiled slightly. "Told you I wouldn't die."

Chakotay laughed breathlessly. "You did."

"I promised." You looked him in the eye and bit your lip. "Oh, and Chakotay?"

"Yes? Do you need anything?" He put his hand on your arm.

You shook your head. "No, I was just going to say that I love you, too."