Disco. Saru - You're Overworked

You ran your hand through your hand, a sigh escaping your lips. You read over the last few lines of your report and frowned. You deleted it and tried rewording, but it still didn't sound right. With a frustrated huff, you tossed the PADD onto your couch. You had to finish the report of your findings from a recent away mission by tomorrow.

The chime to your quarters rang.

You got up and answered it, seeing Captain Saru standing before you.

"Captain," you greeted professionally, despite you and Saru being close friends.

"Y/N," he said. "I was just checking in. How are you?"

You smiled slightly. "I'm fine, thank you."

He looked at you. "May I come in?"

"I really need to finish the report," you admitted.

"Y/N, you are clearly stressed. May I come in and take your mind off of the report?"

You bit your lip and nodded, stepping aside so he could enter. When the door shut, Saru said, "If you are having trouble with the report, I can accept it the day after tomorrow."

"Thank you, but I'll be okay. I'm just..." You trailed off and walked to your couch, plopping yourself down on it. "I guess I'm still getting used to being the first officer."

Saru nodded in understanding and took a seat beside you. "I too am adjusting to being promoted. Being captain is wonderful and a huge honour, but... it is a lot of work and responsibility."

"I just don't know how I'm going to get everything done," you told him. "I have this report, Michael and I are starting our research experiment on the plant samples we collected, Stamets wants my help with the drive, and I have to complete the duty roster for next week." You leaned your head back and breathed out heavily.

Saru put his hand onto your knee. "I know you are under a great deal of stress and pressure, but please do not feel bad should you take a break. The experiment with Michael can wait, and I am sure Commander Staments will handle the drive without you for a day or so. Focus on the report first, then the duty roster."

"I just don't want to disappoint anyone," you said quietly. "People look up to me, Saru. If I can't handle the workload, how can we expect others to handle their work?"

He thought that over for a moment. "People look up to you because you are honest; honest about being stressed and not pretending to be a... superhero, as you humans say. And you are loyal—one of the most loyal people I have ever met. Loyal to the point where you take on too much because you don't want to say no to your friends. I admire and respect that about you, but I worry about you sometimes. I want you to know that you can ask me for help. I will be more than happy to help you however I can. You need only ask, all right?"

You smiled and wrapped your arms around his neck. "Thank you, Saru. I really appreciate that. And you. I don't think I'd be able to handle all of this if I didn't have you with me."

Saru held you, hands placed gently on your back. "I am grateful for having you in my life, as well, Y/N. You have always been there to help me when I needed you, and that is what I try to do for you as well."

"You don't try, you succeed." You smiled and moved back. "Thank you."

Saru smiled and dipped his head.