DS9. Gul Dukat - You Get Injured While Defending Him

When hell broke loose on the promenade, your first instinct was to look for Dukat. You knew the chaos was because of him: he had been visiting the station for diplomatic reasons and the Bajoran occupants on board were none too thrilled. He had been wandering from shop to shop, acting as friendly as he could in between meetings. Some of the Bajorans had spotted him and finally had enough. They begun spitting comments to him at first, then it turned into shouting echoing off the walls, and finally a mob had formed around the Cardassian leader.

"Dukat!" you shouted, trying to pinpoint his location. Your voice was drowned out by the dozens of angry Bajorans, though. You spotted him in the middle of the crowd. He had his hands up as an act of peace, but the Bajorans didn't see it that way. They screamed, raised fists, and some even had small phasers in their hands.

"Leave him alone!" you screamed, trying to make your way through the bodies.

Someone ran into you, causing you to fall forwards onto your hands and knees. You grunted, a slight pain running up your wrist. You were about to stand when someone's knee collided with your forehead. You collapsed on the ground, mind growing fuzzy as the noise around you begun to fade.

You awoke to a bright light shining in your eyes. You groaned, head pounding.

"Ah, you're awake," Doctor Bashir said, approaching your bedside in sickbay. "How do you feel?"

"Headachy. Kind of woozy." You tried to sit up, but he put a hand on your shoulder and held you down.

"Try to remain still. You have a mild concussion, a few bruised ribs, and a sprained wrist, but you should feel better in no time. You'll just have to rest for a few days, all right?"

With a nod, you looked around. "What happened?"

"There was a bit of a mob situation on the promenade. There was about thirty people after Dukat, mostly all Bajorans. Some had weapons, but they weren't fired. Odo and his team resolved the situation, though. You were lucky: you just got bumped around a little."

"And Dukat?" you asked, trying to keep the worry out of your voice.

"Fine," Bashir assured you. "His uniform was ripped, but he was not hurt."

You let out a sigh.

Then, Dukat's voice rang through sickbay. "Y/N?"

"In here," you called back.

Dukat entered the room, a worried expression on his face. "Are you all right?" He looked to Bashir. "Will she be okay?"

"Yes, she will make a full recovery within a few days. The worst of it is her concussion, but she'll heal well after a few days rest." Bashir looked to you. "If you don't need anything else, I'll leave you two alone."

"Thank you, Julian."

He nodded and stepped out to his office.

Dukat sat next to you on the biobed. "How do you feel?"

"I'm fine. How are you?"

"A little disconcerted, but I'm all right. I would have come to see you sooner but Sisko insisted on seeing me and discussing the situation."

"I understand, you don't have to apologize."

Dukat's expression changed suddenly. "What were you thinking? Getting in the middle of an angry crowd like that? Do you have any idea how dangerous and stupid that was?"

You frowned and pushed yourself up onto your elbows, ignoring the pounding against your skull. "I was trying to find you. I wanted to help."

"I didn't need your help," he said, not unkindly. "If you had been hurt more seriously because of me..."

Your brow furrowed. "I just wanted to make sure you were okay. I wanted to try and defend you. It was one against thirty."

"Two against thirty isn't much better," he retorted.

"But at least you wouldn't have been alone."

Dukat stared at you for a few moments. His expression softened, but only slightly. "Never do that again, all right? Don't put yourself in harm's way for my sake."

"Why not? Why don't you want my help?"

"Because I love you," he blurted. "I love you, and I can't lose you, Y/N."

Your mouth fell open ajar as you stared at the reptile-like man before you. Bajorans and other species often called the Cardassians cold-blooded, but after hearing Dukat's words, you knew that wasn't true.

"I love you too," you said after a long stretch of silence.

A smile spread across Dukat's face. "Can I... kiss you? Or should I wait until your concussion is healed?"

You smiled as you said, "I don't know if I can wait a few days after this."

Dukat responded by leaning down and pressing his lips onto yours.