Voy. Kathryn Janeway - Locked Up

You watched as Kathryn paced around the cell, hands on her hips. By the furrow of her brow, you knew she was deep in thought about of to get the two of you out of this situation.

"You'll wear a hole in the floor," you teased, trying to lighten the mood.

She spared you a glance and almost smiled.

"Maybe you should sit down," you suggested. "You don't want to use up all your energy pacing."

Kathryn sighed and shook her head. "I can't just sit back and do nothing. There has to be a way to get us out of here."

"We'll think of something," you assured her. "We'll be okay."

You heard heavy footsteps approaching the cell and you stood, going to Kathryn's side.

One of the military officers who captured you appeared at the door. "Open it," he ordered the guard.

The military officer stepped inside once the door was opened. "What were you doing in our space?"

"I told you," said Kathryn, "We were meeting with the species on the fourth planet in this system. We had run into a ship who said there was a trading post there and we were hoping to get some supplies."

The officer grunted in dissatisfaction. "This is restricted space from the first to second planet."

"We weren't told anything about that," you said, earning a scornful glare from the man. "They just told us where the trading post was, and we were on our way to learn more about it while our mother ship surveyed the area."

"We warned your shuttle to leave," the officer exclaimed. "Fired a warning shot! But you did not listen!"

Kathryn held up her hands. "We didn't know this was your space. We're sorry for trespassing, but like we said, we only wanted to gather supplies. We didn't know that this was your space until after you starting shooting at us."

"Law dictates that any violators will be punished for your crimes." He looked from Kathryn to you.

"We didn't know we were initiating a crime," you defended. "We didn't know this was your space. You don't have any buoys or markers to indicate your borders. We're sorry if we offended you."

The officer moved towards you with his fists clenched, but Kathryn stepped in front of you.

"I'm responsible for our decision to enter your space," she told him. "I apologize for trespassing, but we honestly did not know of our restrictions. If we had, we never would have gone through this way. Please, we must be able to come to an agreement here."

The man's eyes narrowed. "We cannot just simply look the other way and pretend like this never happened. What if we just ignored every person who violated our laws? Our worlds would be in chaos!"

"I understand that," Kathryn said, holding her hands up. "I know this must be difficult, but please try to understand that we weren't trying to violate any laws."

"I will speak to my superiors," the man said after a few moments of silence. "I cannot promise anything, but perhaps we can bend our laws just this once, if you promise never to return to our space."

Kathryn nodded. "Of course. We will respect your boundaries now that we know about them."

The man nodded and left, having the door shut behind him.

"Thank you," you said softly.

She looked at you. "What for?"

"For stepping in front of me like that," you clarified. "I know he didn't have a weapon or anything, but... I appreciate the gesture."

Kathryn smiled and touched your bicep gently. "I would have stepped in front of you even if he did have a weapon."

You blushed softly and smiled. "You know I'd do the same for you."

She nodded slowly. "Yes, well, let's hope neither one of us ever have to do that."

You nodded, too. "And let's hope we get out of here soon."

"Well," she said, "There's no one I'd rather be locked up with."