Ent. Malcolm Reed. - "Because I love you."

Ensign Baker is just a made up character for the sake of this imagine

"I just don't understand why you're so jealous," Malcolm said with a shrug.

His nonchalant attitude was making you irritated. "I'm not jealous. I just don't think that Ensign Baker is right for you, that's all."

"Hm." Malcolm pushed his food around on his plate. "Well, I disagree."

He didn't, though. He knew Ensign Baker wasn't the right person for him. He knew you were jealous. And, he knew that he was in love with you. But, what he didn't know was whether or not you felt the same way. He had a hunch that you did, based on your behaviour around him. But, he had to get you to say it aloud.

"You're just blinded by their good looks," you grumbled.

Malcolm looked at you, smiling at your annoyed expression. "Maybe I am."

You glanced up at him and frowned. "I should get going. I'll see you later."

Malcolm opened his mouth to say something, but he couldn't think of anything to say to make you stay. So, he simply nodded, and silently promised to see you later.

–--

Malcolm rang the chime to your quarters and waited for you to open the door. When you did, you sighed. "Hi."

"Hi," Malcolm said awkwardly. "May I come in?"

You nodded and stepped into your room. He followed, watching you closely. He knew you were upset; your shoulders were hunched and you wouldn't look him in the eye.

"I wanted to apologize for earlier," he started to say.

You crossed your arms over your chest and raised your eyebrow. "I guess I just don't like you talking about someone in that manner."

Malcolm tried to act confused, even though inside he was bubbling with hope. "What? Why?"

"Because I love you," you blurted.

A wide smile spread across Malcolm's face. He took your hands in his and pulled you closer to him. "It's about time."

You gave him a look. "What do you mean?"

He chuckled. "I've been trying to get you to say that for the past few days, Y/N. That whole thing with Ensign Baker was just an act."

"An act?" You stared at him in disbelief. You didn't think he had it in him.

Malcolm smiled, nodding slowly. "Yes. I'm sorry if I caused you any discomfort or anger. I only wanted you to tell me how you felt."

"And how did you know I felt this way about you?"

"I didn't know. Only hoped."

You bit your lip. "So does that mean you love me, too?"

Malcolm nodded and licked his lips. "Yes, I do love you, Y/N."