Disco. Christopher Pike - Longing Part 1

You stared at Chris from across the bridge, a strong ache pulsing through your chest. Your heart felt like it was being twisted into a knot; like any sudden movement would make it burst and shatter into a million little pieces. Though the decision was mutual, it didn't make the aftermath hurt any less.

You had both agreed that it was best if you two were just friends. As the captain, Chris was under a lot of stress and was held to a certain standard. In his mind, in order to maintain the loyalty and respect of the crew, he couldn't date someone under his command.

It made sense, to a point. Of course the two of you had always been cautious about when and where to show affection for one another. And you never let your feelings get in the way of your duties. Well, almost never. Any time one of you had been threatened or injured, it was a little hard not to let the feelings take over.

But it hurt. Man, did it hurt. To see him every day, but not be able to spend your nights with him. To hear him speaking, but not be able to hear about his day after duty. To sometimes work so close you were almost touching, but not be able to be held by him when you needed comfort.

As if sensing your stare, Chris turned his head and met your gaze. You sucked in a quiet breath. Chris frowned. You could see it written all over his face: he missed you. He missed you as much as you missed him.

You drew your eyes back to your station, determined to hold back the tears that were threatening to escape. Maybe some day the two of you could get back together. Maybe some day you would be able to be with him without feeling guilty. Maybe some day, hopefully in the near future, you two would be able to be in love.