Ent. Malcolm Reed - Nightmares

You woke up in a cold sweat, images of the nightmare still playing in your mind. You took in a sharp breath and sat up. You were breathing heavily as adrenaline ran through your veins. The dream you just had was quite possibly the worst you'd ever had. You'd watched your boyfriend die right in front of you and there hadn't been anything you could do to stop it.

Malcolm shifted beside you. "Y/N?" he mumbled, voice muffled by the pillow.

"Sorry," you said. The fact that he was lying there with you, alive, made you feel a tiny bit better.

"Are you all right?" he asked, lifting his head to look at you in the dark.

You nodded slightly. "Just a bad dream. I'll be fine."

"Do you want to talk about it?" He reached out to touch your arm gently.

You frowned. "I don't know," you admitted. The dream had seemed so real. All of it. The fear, the pain, the death.

Malcolm sat up and pressed a button next to the bed to turn the lights on. The room became illuminated and you both squinted.

"What was it about?" he asked softly. He put his hand onto the small of your back.

"You and I were going to some planet for a diplomatic meeting," you recalled, the dream still vivid in your mind. "There was some misunderstanding... we were captured."

"That sounds stressful," he murmured.

You nodded. "They wanted information. They tried to torture us first, but when we didn't tell them what they wanted to hear, they—" Your voice broke.

Malcolm rubbed your back slowly.

"They killed you," you choked out. "Right in front of me. There was nothing I could do to stop it and there wasn't anything I could do to save you. You were just... gone. Just like that."

Malcolm sighed slowly. "I'm sorry, love. That must have been awful for you to experience."

"It was so real," you said, vision blurred with tears. "I could feel your blood on my hands... I could feel your body growing cold..."

Malcolm gathered you in his arms. "Shh, it's okay. It's over, and wasn't isn't real. I'm right here. I'm okay. You're okay. We're both okay."

You leaned into him and sniffed. "I tried to save you. I-I tried to stop the bleeding and save you, but I couldn't."

"It's okay," he repeated. "I'm all right. I know that must have been very distressing, but I'm all right."

You hugged his torso. "Don't die."

"I wasn't planning to," he replied, kissing the top of your head.

"I just don't know what I'd do without you," you admitted. "You're my whole world, Mal. Without you, I... I'd be lost."

"I'm not going anywhere, I promise." He held you closer. "I won't leave you, okay? I'm right here."

You nodded a little. "I'm sorry I woke you."

"Don't be sorry. I'm always here for you, you know that. Whatever you need, no matter the time, I'm here for you."

"Can you just hold me until we fall back to sleep?" you asked.

Malcolm nodded and turned the lights off. The two of you lay down, your back against his chest. He wrapped his arm around you and held you close to him.

"Thank you."

He kissed your shoulder softly. "Sleep well, my love."