TNG. Data - Pet Names

The door to your quarters chimed, waking you from your short nap. You sighed and pushed yourself into a seated position. "Come in."

The door opened, and Data stepped inside, eyes moving around the room until they landed on you. "Y/N, did I wake you?"

"Yes," you answered. "But, I don't mind."

"I can come back later, if now is an inconvenience."

You shook your head, pushing the blankets off of you and standing. "Stay."

He dipped his head in a nod before making his way over to you. "How are you feeling?"

"Better now that we're back on board," you told him. "Being on that sun-soaked planet for three days really tires you out." You paused, a smile forming. "Well, it tires you out if you're human."

"Lieutenant Worf accompanied us on the planet, and he too—"

You cut him off with a laugh. "I meant if you're not an android."

"Oh." He nodded. "I see."

You smiled and took his head, bringing him to your small couch. "Sometimes I forget how I have to speak so literally around you."

"You do not have to, though it helps me to understand better."

You sat on the couch. "Well, would you understand what I mean if I pat the spot next to me?"

He sat, saying, "Indeed. You wish for me to sit with you, do you not?"

You grinned, leaning against his side. "I do. I love cuddling with you like this, Data."

"I also enjoy our intimate times together."

"For an android, you're a very good cuddle buddy."

He wrapped his arm around your shoulders and rubbed your bicep gently. "I am equipped to preform any intimate procedure. And, I do truly enjoy when we do this."

"I know intimacy is sometimes awkward for you," you said, resting your head against his shoulder. "But I really appreciate you trying new things with me to be more couple-like."

Data was quiet for a minute or two, seeming to be lost in thought. Then, he spoke up. "Which do you prefer? Babe, or baby?"

Startled, you leaned back and stared at him. "What?"

"Which name would you prefer me to call you?" he asked.

"I thought you preferred calling me Y/N," you said quizzically.

Data merely shrugged. "I know most couples have pet names for one another. I thought it might make you happier if I had one for you."

You smiled softly. "I'm happy either way, Data."

He nodded. "Babe. Hm. Baby. Babe...bay-be."

You giggled at him. "If you want to give me a pet name, I'd be perfectly find with that. But don't feel like you have to."

"I want to," he told you truthfully. "It will help me feel more human...babe."

With a smile, you kissed his cheek softly. "I could get used to this."