[176] You Belong With Me

Prompt: Based on Taylor Swift's 'You Belong With Me' where Niall's in love with a clueless Liam who takes his time on finally figuring out his true and genuine feelings in return.

Niall sits in his bedroom with a drawing pad on his bed as he illustrates a few different images of unique animals and their specified habitats. He manages to write in Liam's name on certain points on the paper itself, slapping himself mentally at how cheesy and overdramatic he was being while alone in his chaotic and cumbersome thoughts that were far from sane.

He gets knocked out of them when seeing a light flick on to his left. It was the house across from him and he knew exactly who it was even before looking over at the boy. Niall smiles at the sight of Liam who slumps down on his bed, running his fingers through his hair before looking at Niall.

He smiles back at the blonde dyed haired boy, bringing out his notebook to write messages his way. 'Had a long day today. I hope yours was better than mine.'

Niall chuckles and writes back. 'Been cooped up in my room for the entire day, got nothing better to do.'

Liam reads it and laughs a little himself before continuing on with the conversation. 'Smart. Got that game this Friday tho, and I'm stoked. Then prom the next night. You going?'

Niall clenches his jaw and hesitantly responds. 'No, I don't like parties. Band, I can do, but parties are not my thing.'

Liam pouts when reading this. 'Aw, if you insist. I'll be sure to see you at the game then, gotta get some rest. Sleep well.'

Niall nods and watches Liam smile then close his blinds shut. This leaves Niall to fall back into his bed and sigh heavily, wishing he could've been hearing Liam speak for the past couple of minutes. He adored his voice completely.

But he did hear his voice, only in a harsh manner. Niall quickly went to the window and heard it all through the thin, twin set of glass that separated his and Liam's unique bedrooms.

“You know I was joking with you, I always do... No, c'mon you looked gorgeous today, beautiful as usual... Soph, don't be like this... Fine! I'll see you tomorrow. Bye.” Liam sighs heavily and shakes his head, wishing his girlfriend would understand his humor enough to laugh along with him every single time.

Niall purses his lips and fathers an idea. He begins playing the music that Sophia favors, immediately feeling a bit nauseous because of how poppy and cheesy it was. He enjoyed indie and pop-rock music himself, not popular music that's overrated, nothing new with each year that passes by. He gets bored easily with songs like that but not with the indie and pop-rock styles that emotional and heartfelt beyond compare.

He suffered through the music to get an understanding of how she really behaves, achieving that goal within minutes. She's snobby, needy, whiny, and she constantly yearns for Liam's attention like a little puppy. How annoying is that, really?

Niall eventually turns off the music and stands in front of his mirror that was placed near his bed, showing off his entire figure, which he learned to appreciate immensely.

He wore sneakers and t-shirts while Sophia wore high heels and skirts. He played in the band and she cheered for the football team. They were both very different from each other but one thing that separated them was that he knew Liam personally. The two grew up together, after all, which was why they always managed to talk to each other when possible.

Like the morning of the football game, when Niall was sat down on a bench, waiting for the bus to come and pick him up. Niall didn't notice Liam until he watched him sit down next to his side. He smiled gently his way, doing his best to remain comfortable and confident for his own sake.

“You ready for the footie game tonight?”

Liam nods, smile small. “Yeah, more than ever. I'm ready to win this last game and have a really good time tomorrow night. I still wish that you could show up, though. It'd be nice to see you all dressed up and lookin' good.”

Niall chuckles, shrugging slightly. “I appreciate the attempt to persuade me, but it's still a no. I'm just not comfortable with situations like that, and I hope you can understand that for my own sake. You should know it by now, anyway.”

Liam sighs, grinning a bit. “I do, but I miss spending time with you if I'm being honest. Sophia and footie have been taking my time to spend with you away, and I hate it. I want a breather and I want my close friend back.”

Niall smiles, placing a hand on Liam's right leg. “Maybe after the game tonight, you can come over and we can discuss a few, different topics that'll give us a spark of friendship back.”

Liam raises his brow, smirking a bit as he attempted to respond, but a red, roofless car stops in front of us on the read. Sophia was sat inside, signaling for Liam to come in. He does, after patting Niall's leg, and gives her a kiss on the right cheek as she smirks my way. She was so cruel.

Later that day, I was sat in the bleachers with my fellow band players as well used our skills to cheer the football boys on. I caught a glimpse of Liam looking over at Sophia now and again, figuring out for myself that she was being handsy with one of his teammates who didn't seem to care.

This sight shocked me on the outside but on the inside, I was wholeheartedly ecstatic to see them finally split apart.

The night ended on a happy note, nonetheless. Liam scored the winning goal, allowing his whole team to win and reign victorious over their competition that tried their best. It was a great night for everybody, but Liam had a new conflict to worry about now that his girlfriend was seemingly moving on.

Tomorrow night came upon them both, a night after their conversation together, and Niall was in the middle of doing his homework for Monday. He noticed Liam dressed up in his bedroom, writing down a few things on his notepad.

‘You sure you aren't going tonight?’

Niall chuckles softly. ‘I've got homework. Gotta stay hardworking for college. No time for fun :/’

Liam sighs and purses his lips. ‘Wish you were going.’

Niall pouts, writing down one last message before getting back to work on his homework. ‘Sorry. Have fun!’

Liam went to prom alone, expecting to have gone with at least one person, but it appeared that nobody seemed to appreciate what he could offer any longer. He was stuck talking with his teammates who were in the same boat, trying their best to enjoy themselves for an entire night without partners.

It was until the music turned slow when Liam was left standing there with his friends, attempting to not remain awkward. This lasted about a minute until he witnessed Niall stepping into the room. He wore a fitted, blue suit that fit him nicely, hair styled up into a simple yet satisfyingly gorgeous quiff.

He and Liam make their way towards each other until Sophia stops her ex with a frown. “What do you think you're doing? I thought we were still on for tonight?”

Liam smiles and shakes his head. “I'm done. Go be with that meathead. I'm ready to move on from this.” He peels himself away from Sophia who scoffs and shakes her head in disbelief.

This allows Liam and Niall to step up to each other, close enough for Niall to bring out a ruffled piece of paper out of his dress pants pocket. It reads: ‘I love you.’

Liam smiles and brings out his own paper reading: ‘I love you.’

Knowing this, they each discard their papers back in the original places and walk up the closest they can to feel an unfamiliar warmth. They gaze into each other's eyes before Liam begins their first kiss, finally realizing what he had been missing when watching Niall step through the door.

Niall kisses him back with a gentle smile, arms wrapped around Liam's neck as he deepened the kiss exponentially.

He belonged with Liam and now he had him forever.

~*~

Author's Note: Only one more one-shot left! I'll have my thanks be written there, then I'll be posting the second book right after! Please go and put the second collection in your libraries for more Niam stories to come, when I do post it :)