[177] Big Dreams

Prompt: Liam is a popstar trying his best to uphold an earned reputation until Niall comes along with something fresh that could potentially steal his crown of fame.

Nothing on the radio was unique anymore. With songs that have a similar melody, bass, or even message, it's difficult to find a balance of uniqueness in a world filled with copycats.

For Liam, it was simple. He had a mix of pop, rap, alternative on his shoulders. This gave him enough leverage to gain a wide variety of fans who enjoy and respect his style that was rare to see in his time period. He was one of the most famous artists in the US and UK alike, amassing over millions of followers who couldn't get enough of all his songs at all.

That's until Liam hears a new song on the radio by a new artist named Niall Horan, an Irish vocalist who does country with a mix of pop and rock. It's solid, unique, and Liam hated Niall immediately for molding an idea that he created. He was pissed beyond belief, enough to storm into Niall's studio since they are in the same record label now. How much luckier could he get?

When he entered the studio, he was met with Niall's powerful vocals that were enclosed in the mahogany walls. Liam closes the door behind him and takes in each note that he hears from his new competition, can't help being pissed off because of how easy Niall made it look to sing so effortlessly beautiful.

Angered was an understatement once Niall finished with his take, ignoring the simple yet endearing smile that he received from such a perfect vocalist. He had to be mature about this.

“You sounded really good in there. How long have you been singing for?” Liam was definitely, mostly curious about this.

Niall grins. “Since I was a wee lad, about three years old. I've loved performing, just couldn't find the perfect label until recently and now I'm an overnight sensation.” He sighs happily. “Life's crazy ain't it?” His grin doesn't fade.

Liam hums, arms crossing as he gazes into Niall's eyes. “A little bit, yeah. I was hoping nobody would come and steal my spotlight, but life is cruel like that, ain't it?”

Niall's smile falters as he sighs. “I'm sorry to steal some of the spotlight away from you, but it's not my fault that people found something interesting about my music. It's their choice, not mine, and I can't change the way they react unless I were to alter my style, but there's not a chance that I'll be doing that.” He crosses his arms as well, shaking his head. “I thought the biggest popstar of the universe would support me, but I guess he's just a huge, cliché asshole in disguise. I was really hoping that wouldn't be the case, but life really wants to change for us both, huh?”

This leaves Niall to reenter his small space to continue recording more hints, winking at Liam who stares at him for a good few minutes in complete awe. Nobody has ever stood up to him like that, which was why he eventually stormed out of the quaint studio to enter his own and slam his fists against a table. He'd need a huge hit in order to get some attention back. He needs it.

Within months, Niall continued to remain on the billboard charts for most of his songs on a diligently and beautifully made album, it being filled with a mix of his heart and soul that caught fans off guard but in the best ways possible. He was phenomenal.

Interviews after interviews, rumors after rumors, behind the scenes after behind the scenes, he was getting so much fame within seconds, faster than anybody has ever received. Liam took notice of this and fell into a slump, a singers' writer's block if he was putting it into technical terms.

He couldn't find a specific beat, tune, or melody to get his juices flowing again, and he could only blame it on Niall who took every bit of fame away from him. A good chunk of fans still appreciate his hard work, but a majority of Liam's fanbase has given up and moved onto Niall who took over the reins with ease.