Chasing Dawn

Matt's POV:
"Dude you gotta help me!" I say, shaking Jordan's shoulders violently. "I'm in way over my head!"

Jordan grips my hands and slowly lowers them off his shoulders. "Deep breaths, Matt." He says calmly. "What is the problem?"

I shuffle my feet and look at the ground. "See, there's this girl I like..." His eyes widen. "And she's really brainy and into science, and I told her that I was really into science... And she was signing up for Science Club, and so..."

"You signed up for Science Club too?" He finishes with a sheepish tone. I nod timidly.

"I'm allergic to science! What am I supposed to do?"

"Here's an idea," Jordan begins. "Tell. her. the. truth."

"I can't do that!" I reply. "She thinks I'm a brainy science whiz! That's like the only thing we have in common!"

Jordan rolls his eyes. "Well, what do you want ME to do about it?"

"Teach me how to be a brainy science whiz?" I feel my head shrinking into my shoulders out of pure despair.

Jordan sighs and then folds his arms. "I'll tell you what; I'll sign up for Science club too." A big grin spreads across my face. "At least then I can keep an eye on you and you won't embarrass yourself in front of her."

I give him a big hug, nearly squeezing the life out of him. "You're the best, man!"

"Okay... Okay..." He says, sounding out of breath. "Matt... Struggling... To breathe..." I gently put him down as he catches his breath. "Do me a favour and never do that again?"

- 1 week later -

It's the very first day of Science Club. My palms are sweating like there's no tomorrow and my stomach is in knots. We're all crowded around one of the Science labs, waiting for Professor Iken to arrive.

Everywhere I turn I see geeks. People with weird glasses and covered in zits and acne, all muttering weird terms to one another. Come on Jordan, where are you?

Someone taps me on the shoulder. I turn around to see Dawn, clutching three books to her chest. "Hey Max," she says. "Excited for Science Club?"

I nod, trying not to look timid. "So pumped." I try to ignore the fact that she got my name wrong... Again. But she's only talked to me once before, so I'll cut her some slack.

Our conversation is suddenly interrupted by Jordan, who is only just arriving. "I'm here!" He says, nearly knocking Dawn over. "Sorry, I'm late. I hope I didn't miss anything!"

Dawn's eye flick between Jordan and I, trying to discover the connection. "Dawn, this is my cousin, Jordan." I say. "Jordan, this is Dawn."

"Hi." She says, smiling.

I'm suddenly shoved to the side by an old man in a white lab coat with thin and frizzy grey hair. "Ecshcuse me folksh, ecshcuse me!" He says, shoving random people to the side so he can get to the lab door.

"That's Professor Iken?" Dawn asks.

My eyes are the sizes of small plates, and I nod, very surprised.

"Come on in, young shientishts." He says, holding the door open. As we walk past him in single file, we all get a strong whiff of his special scent...

Dawn pinches her nose shut. "Eurgh! Gross!" She mutters under her breath.

I smell myself to make sure I don't stink as bad as the Professor does. Thankfully I don't.

As we all take a seat, I make sure I'm sitting next to Dawn, with Jordan sitting on the other side of me. The Professor stands by the whiteboard, and with a squeaky pen, writes his name on the board.

"Good afternoon, young shientishts." He says. "My name ish Profeshor Iken." No one says anything, and I'm pretty sure half the club can't understand a word he is saying. "Welcome to Shience Club. I hope you make a lot of new friendsh, ash well ash learning a lot about shience."

I'm suddenly interrupted by a quiet, deep voice coming from the other side of Dawn - obviously a boy. "Hey," he says.

Dawn turns her head. "Hi," she replies.

At this point, even knowing that Dawn has engaged conversation with another boy has got my blood boiling. I look over slyly, to see a slightly older looking boy with dark brown hair and brown eyes, wearing a cap.

"I'm Tadashi Hamada." He says, out stretching a hand.

"Dawn Mitchell." She replies, shaking it.

Now knowing that they're even having skin-on-skin contact is making me even more angry. Who does this guy think he is?

"Can you understand anything he's saying?" Tadashi asks, pointing to Professor Iken.

"We might be able to understand better, if you weren't talking!" I hiss from across Dawn. Tadashi sits back and focuses on the board.

I turn to Jordan. "Can you believe that dude?" I whisper to him.

"Who?" Jordan asks, still focused on every word Professor Iken says.

"Him." I say, discreetly pointing to Tadashi, who is now taking notes.

"He doesn't seem so bad." Jordan replies.

I roll my eyes and try to pay attention to what Professor Iken is saying. I know that Science is my worst subject by far, but his voice is just making it worse. I try my absolute hardest not to fall asleep, and I wait for the club to be finished at 4:00.

When it's finally over, I scurry out of there as fast as I can. Jordan joins me at the lockers. "That wasn't so bad! I kind of enjoyed it!" He says, clutching his notepad.

"Are you kidding, dude?" I say. "That club is a torture chamber!"

I suddenly spot Dawn, who has left the lab accompanied by Tadashi. I take a few steps towards them. "Dawn!" I call. She turns around. "See you tomorrow!"

"Yeah, see you tomorrow..." She struggles to remember my name. "...Maz?"

I'm too nervous to correct her, so I just nod. As she walks away, Jordan hits me on the shoulder. "Nice going, Maz." He kids.

"Shut up." I reply. "I don't know what she sees in that dude."

"More than she sees in you." Jordan replies sassily.

I roll my eyes. "Come on. I'm craving Pizza." We start leaving school and heading home.

Chasing after Dawn is going to be more difficult than I thought...