Are we...?

Lily and Blade:
I approach Blade, who is sitting on the bench reading a book. Ever since that night at the park, I've had something on my mind.

"Hey, Blade." I say nervously.

He looks up from his book and smiles. "Hey, Lil." He closes it and puts it in his bag. "What's up?"

I sit down next to him. "Nothing much." He nods. "About the other night..."

"Oh yeah," Blade giggles, cutting me off. "How much trouble did you get in?"

"That's beside the point..." I say quietly, brushing it off. "After what happened, I've been meaning to ask you something."

"Go on," Blade replies.

I swallow a lump in my throat. "What are we; relationship-wise?"

There's an awkward silence. "What do you mean?" He asks.

"I mean, are we together, are we just friends...?"

"Oh." He says, taking a deep breath. "Listen, I've been wanting to ask you something too..." My heart races faster as he takes both my hands. "Lily, that night at the park was one of the best nights of my life... Up until your dad walked in on us... But other than that it was amazing." I take a deep breath so I don't hyperventilate. "And when we kissed... I felt sparks. More than that, I felt fireworks."

"What are you trying to say?" I ask, with a giggle.

"Lily," he says. "Will you go out with me?"

I feel my heart stop beating for a brief moment as I let the words echo through my mind. "Yes!" I say, throwing my arms around him. I hear him giggle as I hold him tight.

"You have no idea how nervous I was to ask that!" He says, wiping some sweat off his brow.

I giggle as I kiss him on the cheek.

My very first boyfriend...

Jordan and Akiko:
Akiko is sitting on the grassy hill, sketching something on her art pad. Taking a deep breath, I walk towards her. She has her headphones in so she can't hear me.

I wave my hand in front of her face to get her attention. She takes both headphones out and faces me. "Hey, Akiko." I say, kind of dorkishly.

"Hey, Jordan." She asks, putting her headphones down

I suddenly get nervous as my gaze drifts towards her art pad. "What are you drawing?"

"Oh, just sketching." She says, turning the book towards me. She's drawn a detailed outline of what looks like an ancient samurai warrior in a fighting stance, wielding a sharp sword. I'm very impressed.

"Wow!" I say. "That's amazing!"

"You think so?" She asks. "It's just a draft, I still have a long way to go."

"I had no idea you were such a talented artist!"

"It's just a hobby, really." She replies. "So, was there something you wanted to ask me?"

My head snaps back to reality, suddenly remembering why I was here. "Yeah..." I say rubbing the back of my neck nervously. "I-I've been thinking..."

"Yeah...?"

"When we went to the movies that night, and we... Kissed..."

"Yeah...?"

"And then the other night, when we kissed again..."

"Yeah...?"

"I-I was wondering..."

"Just cut to the chase, Jordan!" She says.

"Are we or are we not a thing?"

"A thing?" She echoes.

"You know..." I reply. "In a relationship?"

She pauses for a moment. "That depends."

"On what?"

"Do you want to be in a relationship with me?"

My blood runs cold for a moment as I feel like I've lost all my humanity and it's only my turtle side working. I let her words echo through my mind only for a moment before taking a deep breath and facing her. I can't screw this up. Not now.

"Well," I say, taking both her hands. "Do you want to be in a relationship with me?"

"Me?" She repeats. I nod. "Yes!"

I lean closer to her face. "Then yes."

She smiles as we gently kiss, the familiarity of her lips giving me tingles.

I know I'm not showing it, but my heart is leaping for joy right now.

My very first girlfriend...