First Patrol (Part 1)

Lily's POV:
I practice wielding my Katana blade around just like Dad does. I'm nowhere near as smooth and as agile as he is, yet. I've only been training for a few weeks.

I stand with my hands gripping the blade, trying not to let my concentration waver. I've been... distracted the past couple of days.

*Flashback*
"We interrupt this show to bring you breaking news."

I look up at the TV screen in sheer horror and annoyance as Space Heroes is interrupted by a News Report. I roll my eyes and groan as my dad enters the room, sitting behind me.

"There have been multiple reports of a masked duo robbing stores all over New York. The pair are reported to appear young and agile."

"New criminals, Dad?" I ask, turning around. He's crouched behind me, his eyes slit nearly shut and his thumb stroking his jaw.

He hums a short response, before Uncle Mikey interrupts his train of thought. "Hear the news, Leo?" He asks, bounding into the room.

Dad brushes him off. "Shush Mikey, I'm thinking."

He just shrugs and sits next to me, tuning into the news report too. The camera zooms in on the two masked criminals, both carrying a large sack each. One holds a Katana blade - like mine - and the other holds a retractable whip. Mikey's eyes widen.

"Woah-oh..." He says. "Those dudes are cool!"

"They're villains, Mikey." Uncle Raph says, joining in on the conversation. "And they need a beat down."

Dad places a hand on his shoulder. "Hold on, Raph," he says. "These guys look about 12. They're kids!"

Raph growls. "Then they're kids in need of a beat down!"

"Did you not hear what I just said?" Dad shouts back. "They're children! We can't harm children!"

"I couldn't care less if they were ninety-nine and frail; they're breaking the law and disturbing our city!"

"Let the police handle it. I refuse to fight a child!" Dad argues back.

Mikey gets between them. "Guys, guys, I have an easy solution to this argument." They both stop and look at him. "Let the kids deal with it."

Dad quickly looks over at me, as I look at Mikey, slightly confused. "Are you crazy?" He asks. "They have been in training for 3 weeks! We were in training for 15 years before we could go to the surface!"

"Your brother is right, Michaelangelo." Everyone turns around to see Grandpa Splinter emerging from his bedroom. "But perhaps you have a point."

"What?" Dad and Raph say at the same time.

"Woah, woah, woah," Raph says, facing Splinter. "Sensei, these are our kids we are talking about. They aren't ready!"

"On their own, they are not." He replies. "But with your guidance..."

"And let them risk their lives? No way!"

I start to zone out on my Uncle's and grandfathers argument, and instead focus on the report. I stare long and hard at the screen, trying to get some sort of an angle on who these kids are.