We all have our scars

Taya's POV:
I watch on the sideline as Logan scores another touchdown. "Go Logan!" I cheer. He shoots me a smile and waves happily as he runs back to the start to do another play.

I've never really been one for football, but I'll use any excuse under the sun to see Logan in a football uniform and shoulder pads. Despite his objections earlier, he's actually really good!

I take a seat as he takes another run with the ball, dodging other defenders as he goes. I smile to myself just watching him scoot along the field.

He really astonishes me. I used to think he was just some heartless bully who had nothing better to do than push me around, but underneath that rough, rugged exterior is a tender heart of gold. Since asking me out, he's completely changed. He ditched his gang of meatheads and started using his strength as a positive rather than a negative.

I cheer again as he scores another touchdown. Who knew he was such a good football player?

Logan's POV:
I wave at Taya as she cheers loudly when I score a touchdown. Her smile just makes my heart soar, and I can feel a dizzy spell surrounding my brain.

I still can't believe I managed to score her, let alone ask her out. I know I don't usually show it, but I'm actually quite shy on the inside. I usually hide it to protect my rep, ex-school bully and all that, but I feel like I can finally be myself now that I know I have Taya.

I feel a hard tap on the shoulder. "Who's the hot cheerleader?"

I turn around to see Ritchie Hamwell, a guy on my football team; also a total sleaze and the stereotypical jock - big shoulders, tanned skin, perfect white teeth, rock hard abs, one of the best in the team etcetera.

I look at Taya, who is smiling uncontrollably. "That would be my girlfriend." I reply sternly, facing him.

"Dude, how did you manage to score her?" He asks, drooling ever so slightly.

"Put your tongue back in your mouth, Ritchie." I say sheepishly.

"Whatever you say, boss." He replies, surrendering and walking away.

I roll my eyes, but I know that Ritchie is right. Taya is one of the hottest girls around, and knowing that out of all the guys in school she chose me just blows my mind. Why me?

After football practice, we're all in the locker rooms. I can hear Ritchie talking to Josh, another guy on our team. "Dude, have you seen Logan's girl? She is hot as!" I growl and take off my shirt, clenching it tightly in my fist. "I mean, if she were single, I would definitely tap that."

I turn around. "You better not try anything on her, man." I growl.

Josh slinks away while Ritchie holds up both hands. "Hey, hey, I wasn't going to do anything! Calm down, dude."

I take a deep breath and release my anger before going back to my locker. Before long all of the boys are dressed and start leaving the locker room, while I stand there while everywhere in my body hurts.

I take off my shirt and stand in front of the mirror, contemplating all the scars along my back and shoulders. Staring at them doesn't make the pain go away, it kind of makes them worse. Just remembering how I got them makes the sting start to burn.

I hate them. They're disgusting. They're a constant reminder of what I went through and am still go through.

I'm interrupted by hearing the squeaky door open, and I try to quickly put on my shirt.

"Logan?" I hear Taya's voice. "Logan? Is it alright if I come in...?" I have my shirt on over my head, but not on enough to cover my back and scars. When she comes in, her mouth drops open, her face goes pale and her eyes grow to the size of small plates. "Oh my..."

Taya's POV:
I'm waiting outside the Boys locker room for Logan. We were planning on walking home together.

A big group of guys exit the locker room, talking about God knows what. One of them, Ritchie, stops and stares at me.

"Can I help you?" I say.

"Your Logan's girl, right?"

"Yeah." I reply, blocking out any flirtatious vibes he tries to send me. "Is he still in there?"

"Probably," he replies. "So, are you a cheerleader or what?" He smirks.

I roll my eyes and grunt, walking into the locker room absolutely disgusted. Ugh, boys can be so sleazy.

I can hear someone inside the locker room, so I assume it's Logan. "Logan?" I say. There's no response. "Logan? Is it okay if I come in...?" Still no response. I take a deep breath and walk in anyway. I live with a family of turtles and two of my cousins are boys; what's the worst that can happen?

As I catch a glimpse of Logan, I feel my heart drop to my stomach. "Oh my..." Are the only words I manage to get out. Standing in front of me was Logan, bare backed but covered in scars. A hand clamps over my mouth as he pulls his shirt on over his back.

"You didn't need to see that." He mumbles, slightly ashamed.

I touch his right shoulder, which makes him flinch. "What happened?"

He doesn't look me in the eye, instead continues packing his backpack, trying to avoid the question. "It's not your problem." He replies.

I turn him so he faces me straight on, still avoiding eye contact, he hangs his head low. "If someone hurt you..."

He pulls away. "I said it's not your problem."

I sigh. "Logan," I say. "I understand if you don't want to talk about it. But you're my boyfriend, and I don't like seeing people I care about get hurt. Period." He takes a deep breath, but still doesn't turn around. "Just, let me see?"

He doesn't turn around, but still takes his shirt off, revealing the scars on his back and shoulders. "I hate them." He replies.

"Who did this to you?" I ask, gently tracing my finger over them.

He sighs and faces me front on. I blush slightly at the sight of his naked upper body; his incredibly well sculpted naked upper body. "My mom had an abusive boyfriend." He says. "He used to hit her, which then caused her to sink into depression. Not long after she became an alcoholic, which didn't make things any better." My heart fills with sadness at the thought of his home life. "One day, I tried to stand up for my mom. But her boyfriend just slapped me instead. From that day on, he kept abusing me every time I did the smallest thing wrong."

"Did your mom kick him out?" I ask.

"Eventually." I reply. "It took her a long time, but she did it."

My heart strings hurt so much. How can someone go through this? I guess it explains why he was such a bully, because there was no other way to get his anger out.

I look at him with sad eyes. "Logan, I'm so sorry."

He gently lifts my chin with his finger. "It's people like you who help me keep going." I smile, and he cups my face with his hands. "That's why I can't ever lose you, Taya." I'm completely overcome with emotion, when he pulls my face to his and our lips connect. He slides his hands to my waist, and I move mine to his shoulders, except this time he doesn't flinch.

I used to think Logan was just some pig headed, egotistical bully without a heart or a brain to think twice about his actions. Now I see that he was only a scared boy in need of love and protection.

Now, he has me.