~Chapter 139~

Amy's pov:

"Okay, so what you're saying is after he calmed Liz down you had sex and then the next day when you came home from work and he brought them to bed you had sex again!?" Jess asked after I'd told her what happened.

"Well... Yeah..." I said shrugging.

"Damn." She replied with her eyebrows raised.

"But why aren't you back together then?" She asked taking a sip of her glass of wine.

"That had nothing to do with getting back together. It was just physical, didn't mean that much."

"And does he know that?" She asked tilting her head slightly.

"I think so..."

"You think so?" She said, raising her eyebrow.

"I don't know OK?!" I replied rubbing my hands over my face.

"But where do you two stand now? Are you back together? Fuckbuddies? Am this didn't exactly make is easier, you know that right?"

"I know..." I replied sighing, realizing this only made it more complicate.

"Do you miss him?" She asked suddenly, throwing me slightly off guard.

"Yeah..." I replied, looking down.

"Are you even going to give him a second chance? Cause it's not fair to leave him hanging like this either." She said, her tone softer this time.

"I'm just scared..." I admitted.

"That he'll hurt you again?" She clarified.

"Yeah." I replied nodding.

"Do you think he will?"

"No. But I didn't think he'd cheat on me either." I replied, feeling tears filling my eyes.

I felt Jess shifting besides me before she wrapped her arms around me, folding me in a hug.

"It's all so fucked up." I said while trying to fight back my tears.

"I know." Jess replied while running her hand through my hair.

We sat in comfortable silence for ages until Jess eventually decided to go home. I walked her to the door and hugged her goodbye before she left. I cleared away our glasses in the living room and decided to go to bed as well. After making sure Ava and Liz were both sound asleep I crawled into bed and fell asleep almost as soon as my head hit the pillow.

***

I was standing in the kitchen making myself a cup of tea when I heard the doorbell ring. I quickly made my way to the door and opened it, revealing the mailman.

"Mrs O'Donoghue?" He asked when I opened the door.

"Yes?" I replied nodding.

"These are for you." He said handing me a huge -and when I say huge, I mean huge- bouquet of roses.

"Are you sure?" I asked surprised.

"Yep." He replied while looking down at his papers.

"Okay... Thank you." I replied a bit taken aback.

"You're welcome. Have a nice day!" He said before walking away. I closed the door behind him and took the roses to the living room. They were red roses with white roses in the shape of a heart in the middle.

As I was putting them in a vase I noticed a small card attached to it.

'I love you xxx'

Was all it said, but I recognized Danny's messy handwriting immediately. I felt my heart break and melt at the same time.

I grabbed my phone and searched for Dan's name, I opened our chat and typed 'I love you too', my thumb lingered over the send button for a few moments until I quickly pressed send and put my phone away again.

'I take it you got the roses then?'

Came his reply only a few moments later.

'I did. They're beautiful, thank you.'

'I meant what I wrote on that card.'

'I know' was the only reply I could think of.

'Please give me a chance to make it up to you.' He said after none of us said anything for a few moments. I contemplated weather I should say yes or no, scared I might regret it if I say yes, but missing him too much to say no.

'OK.' I typed and quickly pressed send before I could change my mind.

-

I had just dropped the kids off at Jess's for the day and got back in my car to go to work. I hadn't heard anything from Dan since I told him that I gave him another chance, and I don't know if I should be worried or not...

-

I arrived back home around 7M without a word from Danny all day long. I took my keys out of my bag to unlock the front door but was surprised when I found it unlocked. Thinking I must have forgotten it this morning in my rush to get to work, I opened the door and walked in. As soon as I walked in I noticed the candle lights placed on the floor forming a path which lead to the door to the living room which was closed. As I carefully put my bag down I also noticed the rose petals scattered around the floor.

I walked down the candle lit path to the door and opened it walking into the living room. Once I stood in the living room I found myself on another candlelit path. I heard John Legend playing in the background and everywhere I looked were roses. Not just the petals this time, complete roses, in a gorgeous shade of dark red.

I followed the path once again which lead to the doors to the back garden this time. I pushed the curtains aside before opening the door and walking into the garden.

"Hey." I heard Danny say once I was stood in the garden, but I wasn't able to answer as I looked around. A blanked was laid down on the grass with all sorts of food and a bottle of wine. Again, there were candles and lanterns everywhere and I heard the same music playing here as I heard inside. And there was a heater placed close to the blanket so we wouldn't get cold.

"H-hi." I replied once I realized I still hadn't answered him.

"I hope you like it, Amy, this is my way of telling you that I love you so fucking much and I don't want to give up on us." He said as he stepped closer to me, taking my hands in his.  I felt tears form in my eyes, not only because of what he said but because I realized how well he knows me. He could've thought of the most crazy romantic luxurious thing to do this, but he chose something small and intimate like this, knowing I prefer this.

"I love you too." I said swallowing the lump in my throat.

I saw me smile which formed on his lips in the semi-darkness before he leaned down and pressed a soft kiss against my lips.

In that moment I realized that I could never be without this man.