~Chapter 143~

Amy's pov:

I spent a little over an hour making myself sick with worry. I tried calling Dan several times but it kept ringing until it got to voicemail every time. I kept looking out of the window in the kitchen hoping I'd see Dan coming home. But I didn't.

I was sitting on the couch trying to decide what to do now when I saw a shadow stumbling towards the front door. I jumped up and made my way to the hall when I heard keys rustling before the front door opened and Dan walked in. I was about to throw myself in his arms when I noticed the state he was in.

His face was covered in dried blood, his left eye was black and so swollen that he could barely open it. He was clutching his arm to his chest while he stumbled inside.

"What happened?" I asked as I took in the state he was in.

"Nothing, don't worry." Dan replied as he tried to stumble past me.

"How can you say that nothing happened?" I said as I took a step back so I was standing in front of him again.

"Things just got a little bit out of hand." He said before walking to the kitchen.

"But what happened?" I asked again as I followed him to the kitchen where I found Dan swallowing some paracetamol.

"I went to Bryan and told him he should leave you alone, he got mad, we got in a fight." He replied while he leaned back against the kitchen counter and let out a shaky breath.

"Come." I said and stretched out my hand to him.

"Where are we going?" He asked while he took my hand.

"Upstairs, get you cleaned up." I replied as I guided him upstairs to the bathroom.

I made him sit down on the closed toilet seat before I took a wash cloth and soaked it with lukewarm water. I carefully patted the cloth on his face but he winced in pain and turned his head away from me.

"Fuck that hurts." He said as he let out another shaky breath.

"I know. But we have to clean your face, babe."

He agreed reluctantly before angling his face back to me so I could continue. I placed my hand on the back of his head to keep it in place before I carefully cleane his face.

"What happened to your arm?" I asked once I had his face cleaned and realized he was still clutching his arm to his chest.

"He twisted it behind my back." He replied shrugging his shoulders.

"Can I have a look at it?" I asked, knowing I could never convince him to go to see a doctor.

"If that's what you want." He replied before he tried to shrug his leather jacket off. I immediately noticed him wince in pain so I stepped in and helped him take his jacket off.

I examined his arm carefully and came to the conclusion that it was -thankfully- not broken, probably bruised.

"I think you should go to the police tomorrow." I said as I looked back up at Dan.

"No!"

"Why not?" I asked confused.

"Just... No need... OK?" He replied looking up at me with a pleading look in his eyes.

"But-"

"-Am please..." He whispered. I dropped it as I saw the look on his face, but doubting if it was the right decision.

"Let's go to bed." I said instead, changing the subject.

Once I'd brushed my teeth, taken off my makeup and checked on the girls I followed Dan to the bedroom. As I walked in I found Dan with his back to me slowly taking off his t-shirt. I bit my lip as I noticed his back. It was covered in red marks, cuts and bruises.

Dan was still oblivious to me being here so I walked up to him and wrapped my arms around his waist and rested my head on his shoulder. He turned in my arms before wrapping his arms around me as well.

"I'll be fine." He whispered, knowing I was upset about what happened to him.

"But you didn't deserve to get beaten up because of me." I replied trying not to cry.

"Amy, I would never let anything happen to you, if that means having to take a beating then so be it." He said and placed his fingers underneath my chin so I was forced to look at him.

"But-"

"No buts." He said interrupting me before placing a soft kiss against my lips.

"I love you." He said as he pulled away.

"I love you too." I replied with a small smile.

Once we were lying in bed, Dan pulled me close to him. I buried my face in the crook of his neck while I felt him rest his cheek against the top of my head. We both fell asleep like that.

***

I woke up the next day fully expecting Dan to be laying next to me and was surprised to find out I was on my own. I knew he and the lads had rehearsals planned today but to be honest, I kinda thought he wouldn't go because of what happened last night.

I got out of bed and dressed into a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt before I made my way downstairs where I found Ava playing.

"Good morning sunshine." I said kissing the top of her head.

"Morning mummy." She replied while I walked to the kitchen to make breakfast.

Just as I was buttering my toast my phone started ringing. I reached over and saw that it was Mark who was calling.

"Hey." I said as I picked up.

"Hey babe." I heard Dan say on the other end.

"Is my phone still lying on the table? I think I forgot it." He asked getting to the point. I put the knife I was holding down and walked over to the table where I found Dan's phone.

"Yup it's here." I replied.

"OK, that was all, thanks babe." He said before I heard Mark shouting in the background to hurry.

"Have fun babe." I said chuckling before we hang up.

I was just about to lay Dan's phone back on the table when I noticed a text from last night. I would normally never read his texts but this one immediately caught my eye.

'Don't you dare go to the police. I know where your daughter goes to school. I only warn once.'