~Chapter 171~

Amy's pov:

I was sitting at Liz's bedside holding her hand in mine while I was talking to her. I was interrupted when I heard someone knocking at the door. I looked up to see Rachel coming in.

"Hey." She said as she walked over to me.

"Hey." I said and stood up to wrap my arms around her. 

"Are you OK? Dan told me what happened this morning." I asked concerned.

"Yeah I'm fine. Listen Amy, I need to tell you something." She said when we pulled away. 

"What's going on?" I asked worried.

"I'm pregnant." She said biting her bottom lip.

"Rachel that's amazing!" I said happily before hugging her tightly. 

"Why aren't you happy?" I asked when we pulled away and looked at her worried expression.

"It's just that I feel really guilty telling you this while you're own daughter is in hospital." She answered while looking over at Liz.

"Don't feel guilty about that. You have every right to be over the moon after receiving this amazing news." I told her, feeling guilty myself that she felt like she shouldn't say this because it was good news.

"Besides, I think we can all do with some good news." I added. She smiled before dragging another chair up to Liz's bedside and sitting down.

"How long are you pregnant then?"

"Three to four weeks." She answered with a smile.

"Oh Rachel, I'm so happy for you." I said squeezing her hand in mine. 

We sat talking to Liz for a long time until a doctor walked into the room. Thankfully Rachel was here and could tell me what the doctor just told us.

"So you mean they're going to let her wake up?!" I said, not believing what I just heard.

"That's what they said." Rachel answered, grabbing my hand. 

"That's amazing." I said, feeling tears well up in my eyes.

"Give me a moment, I need to call Dan." I said before standing up and walking out of the room, leaving Rachel with Liz.

"Hey baby." Dan said picking up.

"Can you come over. They're going to let Liz wake up." I told him, feeling my heart beat incredibly fast. 

"Give me thirty minutes, I'm on my way." He answered before hanging up. 

I walked back into the room and sat down again, playing with Liz's small hand while waiting for Danny to arrive. 

A few minutes after Dan arrived a doctor walked into the room explaining what he was going to happen. According to Rachel he also said that once Liz had woken up they would like to keep her here for a little longer to make sure if everything was alright. 

I only half acknowledged what was being said because I was too focused on Liz and the thought of her waking up. 

I felt Danny grip my hand when the doctor walked over to Liz and started to remove the IV line from her hand. I watched him while he detached Liz from some of the machines before writing something down on his clipboard. He then looked up at me and Dan and shot us a smile before saying he would come back in a few hours. 

"Now we just have to wait." Dan said and kissed the back of my hand.

Rachel stayed with us for a little longer until she decided to go back to Glen. 

"Has Rachel told you about their doctor's visit?" Dan asked once Rachel was gone.

"Yeah." I replied nodding. 

"Glen was so happy when he told me." He said with a smile.

"I can imagine." I answered.

"Rachel felt guilty at first because of Liz but I told her she had no reason to." I told Dan.

"Lizzy will go home with us soon." Dan said while smiling down at his little girl.

"I can't wait to go home." I said sighing.

"Me neither. Just wait a few more days babe." He said and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, pulling me into him.

"Yeah..." I replied, resting my head against his shoulder, realising how tired I was.

Danny obviously noticed this too and pressed a few soft kisses against my temple while running his hand through my hair.

"You'll send me off to sleep if you continue this." I said chuckling after a while.

"Is that a bad thing?" He asked without stopping his movement.

"Not necessarily. But I'd like to be awake when Liz wakes up." I answered. 

"That might as well take a few more hours. Why don't you relax for a few moments. I'll wake you if Liz starts to wake before you do." He said before pressing another kiss against my temple.

"Only because you're really convincing." I answered before letting my eyes close.

Danny's pov:

Am was leaning against me, asleep while Liz was lying in the hospital bed also asleep. I wanted nothing more than for Liz to wake up right now and lift her out of bed and take her home. But I kept telling myself to give it a few more days until we'd take her home and I would wrap my three kids in cotton wool, wanting to hide them all from the world.

Another hour and a half ticked by when I heard a few soft noises coming from Liz and her eyelids started to flicker slightly. I quickly sat up straight causing Am to wake up as well.

"I think Liz is waking up." I said before Am had even opened her eyes. But after saying that her eyes shot open immediately while she sat up straight as well.

"It's OK baby, Mummy and Daddy are here." I said while stroking my hand over Liz's hair.

Am and I were both encouraging our baby girl until she opened her eyes.

"Oh baby." I whispered, struggling to prevent myself from crying. 

I looked up and Amy who also looked at me and noticed that she also had tears in her eyes.

A few hours later she'd gotten a little bit brighter and even started to talk a little bit.

Am had gone to get something to drink while I was chatting to Liz.

"Daddy?" She asked.

"Lizzy?" I answered kissing the back of her small hand.

"I need to toilet." She said.

I smiled at her before throwing the covers back and lifted her out of bed. I walked onto the corridor to the toilet where I pulled her pyjama shorts down. Once she was done I lifted her into my arms once again and walked back to the room, my nose buried in her soft hair.