Haunted High School (Anxiety x Logic)

Prompt. Also I just wanna apologize to anyone who's messaged me at all this last month-or well... longer than that actually, I dunno I've just been really bad about responding to people and also just being online in general, so sorry.

Virgil had heard the rumors. It was all anyone could talk about at the beginning of the year at the new school he was going to. Of course he didn't really believe anything he heard-ghosts weren't real. It just wasn't possible. So of course there wasn't a ghost haunting their high school, no matter what the students(and even some teachers) believed.

Though he had to admit, staying after school while not many others were there did freak him out just a little. Not because of ghosts, he told himself. It was just unusual. His anxiety was making things seem scarier than they actually were.

The reason he decided to stay was to catch up in a subject he was falling behind in. He had trouble focusing on that class(he blamed his annoying and loud classmate Roman for that), and was worried that if he didn't try to understand it better he would fail. However, he was finding it very difficult to concentrate here either. It was too unsettling.

He sighed in frustration, dropping his head onto the desk. It landed with a quiet thud, Virgil closing his eyes and wondering if he would ever be able to figure it out. He wanted to just give up.

That was when he felt it.

It was cold. Freezing, right behind his back. He tried to stay rational, maybe the air just turned on or something. Despite what he was telling himself though, Virgil could tell this was weird. It wasn't like the air in the room just got cooler. The air in one spot got colder, and Virgil was beginning to wonder if maybe there was some truth in the rumors he had heard.

A voice whispered directly into his ear from behind him, sending even more chills down his spine. He felt as though he couldn't move, and he just barely caught what was whispered to him.

"I-I..." Virgil frowned, wondering if he should risk turning around. "Wh-what...?"

"C." The voice repeated, louder this time. "The answer to your homework question? It is C."

Virgil stayed quiet for a few moments, mind racing. Who was this person? Was it the ghost everyone had been talking about? If it was, then why was he answering his homework problems for him? Eventually Virgil realized he should probably turn around and thank whoever this was, and slowly craned his neck around to see.

When he saw no one there Virgil grew even more confused than before. Where had they gone? Was it just someone pulling a cruel prank on him? He wouldn't put it past the students in this school. None of them really seemed to like Virgil. "Where...?"

"I'm still here." The same voice answered, still right next to Virgil. Virgil couldn't help but jump, nearly falling off of his chair.

"Wh-what? How are you-how is this-what's going on?" Virgil demanded, looking around the seemingly empty room and wondering where exactly he was supposed to be looking while he was speaking.

"I don't really understand why you are freaking out. Everyone in the school seems to like talking about my existence," Virgil could hear the annoyance in this guys voice, and for a moment he felt bad for him. Then he realized just what his words meant.

"No, no no no," Virgil panicked, pushing back from the table he was sitting at and rising from his chair. "No way! This is a joke-a stupid joke. Ha ha, very funny. Now stop messing with me." He insisted, back now pressed against the desk as he scanned the room for someone-anyone.

Virgil heard what sounded like a loud sigh, and then he heard the chair he had just been sitting in scrape against the floor. It was moving.