Saving Her Pt23 (Shartney)

Shayne sat alone in a hospital room, keeping watch over Courtney while she slept. He was waiting for Damien, Ian, and Connor to return from getting them all coffee. He leaned back in his chair sighing and ran his hands over his face, he was sore and exhausted mentally, physically, and emotionally, but he couldn't...wouldn't leave the hospital until Courtney could come with him. He leaned forward again, placing his elbows on the bed, and gently took one of her hands in both of his, bringing it to his lips; he held it there, as he stared at her sleeping face. He felt like a failure as a boyfriend, he had promised to keep her safe, that he'd protect her and he...failed. He let a psychotic bastard who was obsessed with her, not only hurt the woman he loved, but that bastard had also hurt Damien, Ian, and Connor too. He hung his head and brought their hands to his forehead, as he thought about everything that's happened and how this nightmare began.

 The whole way to the hospital, he had held Courtney's hand, he was worried about her, she hadn't said anything since she asked if it was over. At the hospital, all four guys had tried to go with her, but they weren't allowed and after a lot of convincing, the guys agreed to get checked out by the Doctors too. Thankfully, none of their injuries were serious or life-threatening and neither were Courtney's. After talking to her Doctor, they went to see her, but she didn't look at them or even acknowledge they were there. Worried, they talked to her Doctor about it and were told she's been like that since she was brought in, she was just in shock and there wasn't any reason for them to worry. It's been three days now, and she still hasn't said anything yet or even acknowledged that they were there. All four kept vigil by her bedside, only leaving long enough to shower, change, eat, and get coffee. It was hard on all four of them, but it hit Shayne the hardest since he was unable to comfort her like he wanted and he was scared she'd be like this forever. His thoughts were interrupted by the guys returning, not wanting them to know he was crying again, he quickly sat up and wiped his tears away, as they came to the bed and Ian gave him his coffee.

 "Thanks." Shayne said smiling sadly, as he took his coffee and they sat beside him.

 "We ran into Dr. Gray on our way back in here." Damien said sighing, as he looked at Courtney's sleeping face. "He told us he's discharging her tomorrow."

 "That's great, maybe once she's home she'll start coming back to us?" Shayne said.

 "Maybe all she needs is to be in a familiar, comfortable place alone with us to start feeling like herself again?" Ian suggested, all four hoping that they were right.

 "I really hope so, she hasn't said a damn thing in three days, her nightmares happen all the time and the worst part is she won't let me touch her; unless she's sleeping." Shayne said frustrated, tears in his eyes.

 "She won't let us touch her either." Ian added sadly.

 "Guys, we can't give up on her." Damien said gently. "We've all been through Hell because of Carter and Benson, but what we went through is nothing compared to what she went through. We need to be there for her, give her love and support from a distance, she'll come back to us when she's ready. She needs us more than ever right now."

 "You're right, Damien. Until Courtney's able to let us back in, we'll just have to love her from a distance and do whatever it takes to help her." Shayne said sighing, as they agreed.

**Meanwhile**: