The Game Pt6 (Shaymien)

Damien sighed sadly, as he sat on the bench in his team's dugout beside Ian. Their baseball team was playing against their rival team, which now included Shayne. Ian got up and patting Damien on the back he left to check on their team's practice. Damien couldn't take his eyes off of Shayne, as he watched him warm up, Damien thought back to when this mess started and how they lost their brother. His thoughts were interrupted by Ian coming back into the dugout, where Damien was sitting; he wore his uniform in support of his team like always, even though he wasn't playing. Ian sat beside him and sighed, as he noticed that Damien was still staring at Shayne.

 "I miss him too, Dames." Ian said gently. "You wanna talk about..."

 "No, I just want to get this over with, okay?" Damien replied sadly, cutting him off. "Shayne...he made his choice and there's nothing we can do about it. So, let's just concentrate on winning the championship, okay?"

 "Okay." Ian said. "I'm going to go get everyone so we can go over everything one last time before the game starts." He said, as he stood and left the dugout.

 Damien sighed again, as he closed his eyes; he opened them and put his game face on, knowing this was going to be the longest day of his life.

**Later**:

 They didn't talk anymore before the game, and when it began the trio would give each other dirty looks. For most of the game, Shayne's team was leading in the score, until the last inning, Damien and Ian's team were behind by only two runs. Shayne was playing back catcher for his team, when the guy replacing Damien got hit by a runaway pitch and was hurt, the Ump called a time-out. Ian went and talked to the Ump, he's told that if they didn't have a replacement hitter then they'd have to forfeit. Shayne stood off to the side listening, but made sure Ian never noticed, so when Ian left to tell the others Shayne sighed and went up to the Ump and tapped him on the back to get his attention.

 "They have a replacement." Shayne said playing with his glove.

 "What? Wait, aren't you on the other team?" The Ump asked confused.

 "Yeah, but that's not important. What is important is that they don't forfeit, they have another player." Shayne said frustrated.

 "Alright then, who?"

 "Number nine. Just call him to bat and restart the game." Shayne said putting his mask back on before going back to his position; the Ump shook his head before he spoke.

 "Alright then...number nine you're up!" The Ump yelled out as he returned to his position, Damien stood shocked, before he looked at Ian who shrugged his shoulders telling him it wasn't his idea. "Let's go number nine, we don't have all day!"

 "Coming!" Damien called back as he nervously took the bat from Ian, before he went to the plate. "Sorry." He said to the Ump once he was in position.

 "GAME ON!" The Ump yelled signaling the restarting of the game.

 "Oh, crap!" Damien said to himself as he looked at Thomas who was pitching, Thomas just smirked at him before he nodded. "I'm dead, so very dead!"

 When the first pitch came to him he waited and then swung, but missed, strike one! Shayne sighed, he couldn't believe that Damien wasn't doing what he had taught him, Damien got into position again and the ball came to him, again he swung...and missed strike two! Shayne got frustrated and Damien noticed, so he got into position again, he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. In his head he could see and hear Shayne telling him what to do, so he fixed both his grip and the way he stood, and smiling opened his eyes. When he did, he hears Shayne in his head telling him to wait for the right moment, the ball flew to him and he swung...and hit it! Damien froze for a second, until he dropped the bat and took off running as his other two teammates who were already on second and third base ran to home. Finally, as he ran towards home the ball was thrown to Shayne who caught it and waited for Damien to come to him. As he neared Shayne, he heard Ian yelling at him to slide, so he tried to slow himself down enough to slide, but couldn't and ended up slamming into Shayne knocking them both to the ground. In the crash when Shayne fell, he lost the ball and Damien touched the base, as Shayne fell the Ump saw it all and yelled.