The Rancher's Son Pt9 (Ian/Shayne)

Ian paced the living room of his parent's ranch house, while his parents talked privately in his father's office. He was anxiously waiting to see if his little talk with them about Damien and Shayne made any difference. Both men had been accused of stealing from his parents and Ian not believing they did it, had tried to convince his parents of their innocence. As he paced waiting for their decision, he thought about everything that's happened between them and how the two men were strangers to him now, when not that long ago the three of them had been inseparable.

 Ian and his parents had talked and argued for a couple of hours, Ian wouldn't stop until he had Shayne's job back too. Finally, after a while, his mother, knowing that things weren't going anywhere with all of the back and forth arguing that Ian and his father were doing, sent Ian out of the room, so they could talk in private. That was a half-hour ago, and Ian was nervous as hell waiting for an answer. His thoughts were interrupted by his mother coming out of the office alone, he stopped pacing and turned to look at her, he was so nervous and his mother showed no emotion.

 "So?" Ian asked nervously.

 "Honey, your father and I talked and we took everything you said into consideration." She said sighing.

 "And?"

 "Even though both of them had the wallet and necklace on them...we've decided to give them one last chance. If anything else happens then we'll have no choice, but to fire them, do you understand, son?"

 "I do, thank you, mom! I guarantee they'll be no more problems." He said smiling, before he hugged her tight. "I've got to go tell them and..."

 "Son, before you do I...I want to talk to you for a minute." His mother said, cutting him off.

 "Okay, about what?"

 "Let's sit." She said sighing again, as she took his hand and led him to the couch, they sat down beside each other, still holding hands.

 "This...this sounds serious, mom, is everything okay?" Ian asked nervously.

 "Yes, sweetheart, everything's fine, it's just that I couldn't help, but notice the way you...care deeply for both Damien and Shayne." She replied smiling.

 "I do, very much." Ian answered smiling.

 "Um, sweetheart, do you have...feelings for either of them?"

 "Who? Shayne and Damien?" Ian asked confused, his mother nodded silently, one of her hands still holding his, while the other played with the string of pearls around her neck; something she only did when she was nervous or anxious. "It's no secret that I think of both of them like brothers, is that what you mean?" He answered, confused.

 "No, I...I mean do you have romantic feelings for either of them?"

 "No!" Ian quickly answered, he hated that he lied, but he didn't want anyone; especially his parents, to know about his love for Shayne yet, knowing it would only complicate things for everyone and right now they didn't need any more complications. "I think of them as only friends, besides I'm dating Ben, remember?"

 "Okay, I was just wondering." She said smiling. "Why don't you go tell them the good news and I'll see you in the morning."

 "Alright, night, mom, I love you." Ian said smiling, before he hugged her.

 "Goodnight, Ian, and I love you too, sweetheart." She said, before she stood up went upstairs, as he left to find his former friends.