Saving Her Pt18 (Shartney)

Shayne paced outside the courthouse early in the morning, while Damien, Ian, and Connor, stood together watching him silently. They were waiting for Greene to arrive, so they could talk to a Judge about Courtney. Since she had been falsely arrested yesterday, Shayne felt like a failure as a boyfriend, he loved her, and yet he couldn't keep her safe. He sighed, as he sat down on a bench, he ran his hands over his face, as he began to think about everything that's happened and how this nightmare began. His thoughts were interrupted by Greene finally arriving, as he joined them Shayne stood, Ian, Damien, and Connor came and stood beside him.

 "Sorry I'm late, but I wanted to make sure I had everything ready to present to Judge Mitchell."

 "It's okay, we're ready to go in whenever you are." Shayne said smiling.

 "Sorry, Shayne, but you guys can't come with me this time." Greene said sighing.

 "What?" All four of them said together shocked.

 "Look, I need to do this alone. Judge Mitchell can be a hardass and if we all go into his chambers, he might take it like we're ganging up on him and that could backfire on us." Greene explained.

 "What do we do then?" Damien asked frustrated.

 "We do nothing, I go in there and get this crap case against Courtney thrown out. Do you guys trust me?" Greene asked.

 "Of course, we do." Ian answered. "We're just worried about Courtney." He added sighing.

 "I promise you I'll get this straightened out, you just need to trust me and do this my way alright?"

 "Okay." Shayne answered, as Ian, Damien, and Connor agreed.

 "I'll be back as soon as I can." Greene said, before he went inside.

 Two hours later, Greene came out of the courthouse, looking angry. Seeing him, the guys, who had been sitting together on the bench, stood and met him halfway.

 "Well, is she free?" Shayne asked nervously.

 "No." Greene answered bitterly, as they walked to their cars.

 "What do you mean no?" Damien demanded upset. "We thought you were going to fix this?"

 "I was, but I didn't speak to Judge Mitchell."

 "Who did you talk to then?" Ian questioned, all of them confused.

 "Judge Mason." Greene replied. "I've never been in front of him before, but I have heard stories from other lawyers that he's not very ethical."

 "What does that mean?" Connor asked confused.

 "It means that he's been known to do favors for criminals more than he does the right thing."

 "So, what happened?" Shayne asked.

 "I was informed that Judge Mitchell was out sick and unable to talk to me about Courtney's case. I was then told that Judge Mason was taking over his caseload. Right away I tried to get a different Judge, but couldn't. When I went into Mason's chambers he was on the phone with someone we're all too familiar with."

 "Who?" Damien asked.

 "Benson." Greene answered angrily.

 "What?" All four of them said together again.

 "Yep, I knew right then that Carter's power; even dead, reached further up than the Police force." Greene said angrily.

 "He...he didn't throw the case out, did he?" Shayne asked quietly.