The Rancher's Son Pt5 (Ian/Shayne)

Ian sighed sadly, as he sat on the porch of his parent's ranch house and watched the ranch hands and animals, as they started their day. He loved it here and being here usually made him happy, but after what happened the last few weeks all he felt was unhappy, empty, and his heart broken. Suddenly, he saw two ranch hands walk out of the barn with a couple of horses and felt his heart ache; they were the reason his heart hurt. The two men weren't just ranch hands, at one time, he had been so close to both of them they considered each other family. The two men were Shayne and Damien, as he watched them laughing and talking, as they worked, he thought back to when everything changed and they became strangers. It's been a week since he decided to do what Ben suggested, even though he knew what they've been doing and he refused to be played any longer, it was still hard on him. He still loved Damien like a brother and he was still in love with Shayne. He knew that was all in the past now, he needed to concentrate and move into the future with Ben; that, of course, meant changing everything about himself and becoming what he hated, he had to become like Ben. His thoughts were interrupted by Ben coming outside, seeing him Ian changed into fake Ian and smiled, as Ben sat beside him.

 "Morning, Ian-Bear." Ben said smiling, as he kissed his cheek.

 "Morning, Ben." Ian greeted him, faking his smile.

 "I missed you at breakfast." Ben said, taking his hand.

 "I wasn't hungry, so I thought I'd check things out and make sure that the ranch was running smoothly." Ian lied.

 "That's my boy! So, how are things around here?" Ben asked, talking to him as if he were a child.

 "Uh, good, no real problems, just need a few supplies, but I already sent some ranch hands to do it." Ian answered.

 As they talked they suddenly heard the horses in the corral with Damien and Shayne start freaking out. They watched as one of the horses; the one with Damien on its back, rear up on its back legs, while both men tried to calm it down. Scared for both their safety, Ian got up and raced towards the corral, just as the horse bucked Damien off and onto the ground.

 "DAMIEN!" Ian yelled, as he raced into the coral, followed by Ben.

 "Easy, Damien, you alright?" Shayne asked concerned, kneeling beside him.

 "No, I...I think I broke my damn arm!" Damien answered, as he sat up with Shayne's help and cradled his left arm.

 "I'll drive you to the hospital." Ian said, relieved that Damien wasn't seriously hurt.

 "No thanks, Mr. Hecox, Shayne can take me, sir." Damien replied bitterly, as he stood with Shayne's help.

 "I don't..."

 "It's fine, Mr. Hecox, you've got a ranch to run. Besides, you don't need to worry about us common ranch hands anyway." Shayne stated angrily, cutting him off.

 Without another word, Damien and Shayne walked away, without looking back. Ian's heart broke a little more, as he watched them get into Shayne's truck and drive away. In that moment, Ian knew that what they had was gone and he couldn't fix it. So, he could only move on and be who everyone; but himself, wanted him to be.

**A Week Later**:

 Shayne finished feeding the animals and left the barn to go help Damien with the chores he couldn't do with his broken arm. As he left the barn, he saw Ian by the house talking to Ben, he looked so happy, when he saw them kiss, he had to turn away in sadness. He quickly walked away, before they saw him and once hidden behind the shed, he leaned his back against it and ran his hands over his face. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't stop loving Ian. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath calming himself, before he left his hiding spot and went to find Damien, as he did, he felt someone grab his arm from behind, pulling him backwards. Shayne turned around to see Ben standing there smiling, angrily Shayne pulled his arm away from him and spoke.