Caius Volturi | Safe and Sound

By : avyannadawn | Tumblr

Pairing: Caius Volturi x Female Reader

Request: (anon) It was about he and reader having a kid while humans but the kid dies and thats why Caius is so cold to everyone else except his wife, but reader has a gift where she can create illusions so she always do illusions of their kid so it can be a little less painful to them

-----

Dusk settled in on the horizon, the sky softly glowing with the afterlight of the passing day. You smiled as the sun disappeared along the skyline of the city, a soft sombre light settling over Volterra.

You smiled as past the large open windows, gracefully gliding down the halls to see your mate. You nodded to Demetri as you passed, your smile widening as he exited your mates office. Demetri bowed, "My Queen."

You chuckled, placing a hand on his shoulder and squeezing as you passed. "I've said it for more than a thousand years, Demetri, there's no need for formalities when we aren't in the throne room." He shook his head, chuckling softly as he opened the door to Caius's office wider for you.

"Thank you. You can have the night off, go spend time with your mate. Im sure Kaylee misses you greatly." He thanked you before making his way down the hall, leaving you alone with your mate.

You entered and closes the door gently, turning to see Caius sitting solemnly. He sat as still as stone in his chair, seated behind his desk as you walked in. He remained unmoving as you called out to him, his face turned to the window.

"Caius? Love, what's the matter?" He didn't seem to hear you, his eyes remaining trained on the fogged glass. You walked up from behind him, leaning down to press a kiss on his cheek. He tensed under your touch, his eyes widening as he turned to you.

You laid your head upon his shoulder, looking up at him. Your eyebrows furrowed at the misty look in his eyes, his usual crimson eyes now a glossy black.

"Just thinking," he hummed. His head hung low as he turned back towards his desk. You moved a piece of his hair from his face, "what's on your mind? Talk to me."

He sighed softly before maneuvering you onto his lap, holding you delicately to him. Even after centuries of immortality, he still holds you as if you were made of fine china.

"There was another immortal child today," he whispered, his voice breaking ever so slightly as his gaze met yours. "The entire time, the child kept screaming out for their father, begging for him to help them. It just reminded me of the night we lost her."

You felt a piece of your heart chip away at his words. Memories of your daughter, the little ball of sunshine that lit up both your and Caius's life flooded your vision. Her laughter and hugs, her surprise tea parties and dances.

You lent into your mate, soaking in the comfort his embrace gave you as you fought back a wave of emotions. "I miss her.

Caius nodded, placing a gentle kiss on your forehead. He wrapped his arms tighter around you, holding you in place on him. "As do I."

The two of you sat in peaceful silence, the grief and longing that ebbed off you filled the room hazily. With a cloudy vision, you looked at the space in his office, the red Persian carpet adorning the centre of the room. You thought of the time that she woke the both of you up, demanding that you had to dance.

Slowly her little face faded into existence, her body twisting as she spun around with her hands in the air. A loud giggle erupted past her lips as she jumped, her hands outstretched as she tried to catch fireflies.

"Look! Daddy! I nearly caught one!" Caius tensed, his eyes shooting up to see your illusion twirling around his office. A soft knowing smile fell onto his lips as he watched the memory of his daughter running in the field of fireflies. "Gosh, she was so beautiful."

You hummed in response as she spun around to face you. Her face alight with pure joy as clapped her hands, "I love you!"

Caius pressed his head to yours, his lips pressed into a thin line as he watched intently. His bottom lip shook softly as he watched his little girl jump and twirl around his office, her favourite dress adorning her body as she fluttered about.

A dry chuckle escapes his lips as he watched her catch one, her eyes wide as she carefully clasps her hands over it. She held her hands close, sticking her tongue out as she looked through the gaps of her fingers and giggled. She ran up to you and Caius, jumping as she let it go, "look! Look!"

"God, she's as beautiful as the last day we saw her." You nodded in agreement as you continued to project the illusion, your mind buzzing with soft warmth.

If there was always one thing you missed from your human life, it was your baby. Her sweet smile and memory would forever live on in your heart and soul when you left your human life behind. Her death may have broken you, but it also was the start of your new life, one you and Caius will live out in honour of her.