Sam Uley | I Need You

By : wiltingdaisies | Tumblr

words: 2,462
character: sam uley
fandom: twilight
prompt(s): "it's too cold! come back." "wait... don't pull away. not yet." "i know i've kissed you, like, ten times already, but just ten more please."
genre: fluff, with a teensy weensy bit of sadness sprinkled in there, some friends to lovers here for ya

-----

    The crisp October air chilled me to the bone as I walked to Sam's house on the reservation. Every Friday night, the two of us hang out, watch movies, and eat junk food. Sam is my best friend and he has been since we met in middle school. Even though I don't live on the reservation, I know everyone there and have heard every Quileute legend more times than I can count. When I arrive at Sam's house, I knock on the front door before letting myself in.

"Sam!" I call out, announcing my arrival, "I'm here!"

I walk into the living room where I see Sam crouched in front of the TV, sliding a movie into the DVD player. He turns around and grins at me as he stands up, greeting me with a warm hug. I follow him into the kitchen where he's already started getting together snacks. He pulls a two liter of soda out of the fridge, "The pizza should be here in a few. For now though, we have chips, Oreos, soda and some vegetables and water to make ourselves feel better about eating all this junk food."

We get all the food set up in the living room and gather pillows and blankets to stay warm on the couch. As we finish organizing everything in the living room, the doorbell rings. Sam grins at me excitedly and answers the door, paying for the pizza and bringing it inside. He sets the pizza box down on the coffee table and sits next to me on the couch, pulling me close to him and dragging blankets on top of us.

"So, since Halloween is around the corner, I thought we could watch some scary movies." Sam grabs the remote that controls the DVD player and starts the movie.

Sam always says he's chosen a scary movie when it's around Halloween, but usually they're less scary and more cringe-worthy. I curl into his side as the movie starts, recognizing it quickly as it is one of my favorite Halloween movies. I reach across Sam to grab a piece of pizza, already focusing intently on the movie. I look up for a brief moment at Sam whose eyes are focused on the TV screen as he takes a bite of the pizza in his hand. My heart flutters.

Up until now, I had never really thought about Sam in that way. But now that we were both graduated and spent nearly every second of free time together, I couldn't help but see him in a new light. Both of us are single but I have no idea if Sam is interested in anyone. We used to talk about relationships and crushes all the time but things feel different somehow. Now we never talk about things like that. I look away from my best friend, ignoring the butterflies that have suddenly risen in my stomach.

After we've finished two more movies and all the food is devoured, I stand up slowly, deciding it's time to go home. I stretch and look down at the couch where Sam is sleeping soundly. He grumbles in his sleep, shifting a little bit as he whines, "It's too cold. Come back."

I laugh as I adjust the blanket over him, turn off the TV, throw away the trash and write him a short note, which I set on the coffee table. Finally, after I feel I've done all I can, I grab my keys and leave Sam's house, locking the door behind me.

The next two weeks drag on slowly— agonizingly. Sam hasn't spoken to me since our movie night on that Friday night two weeks ago. No calls, no texts, no letters, and I haven't even seen him in person> I tried to visit but he either wasn't home or wouldn't let me in. I'm too worried about him to be angry like I usually would be if he ignored me. None of our other friends have been able to get a hold of him either, which only makes me worry more. Ever since we've been friends, Sam has never gone so long without talking to me.