Mockingbird

Harry’s POV

I swallowed hard. I didn’t know how to tell her, but I knew it would be worse if I waited. “(Y/N),” I croaked. She turned around, smiling from her place behind the kitchen sink.

A frown crossed across her face, when she saw my expression. She made her way over to me, pausing to dry off her hands. “Babe, what’s wrong?” She asked, running her fingers down the side of my face, and her touch made me feel a little better.

“I have something to tell you,” I sighed, figuring now was the best time.

She sat down next to me, tracing small soothing circles on my back. “What is it Harry? You know you can tell me anything,” She soothed, offering a small smile.

“I’ve been drafted,” I admitted, and (Y/N) immediately went white. “We knew this would happen if when I enlisted, but I didn’t know it would be this soon.”

When she didn’t say anything, I laced my fingers with hers. “Please say something (Y/N).”

“I don’t know what to say Harry,” She sighed, and her eyes were brimming with tears. “I was against you joining the army in the first place.”

“But we need the money,” I added, and she frowned, because she knew it was true.

“What about the kids Harry? I refuse to be the one to tell them their father might die in the war,” She cried, drying her tears with the towel in her hand. *GIF*

I nearly choked, when I hear her say those words. How would I tell my son and daughter? Them not having their father for a while. I don’t know how that will affect them. When I didn’t answer (Y/N) spoke.

“How long do you have until you depart?” She asked, resting her head on my shoulder.

“I leave in 2 weeks.”

“You are going to have to tell the kids sometime, Harry,” She said, and the thought of breaking my kids’ hearts nearly killed me.

As if on queue, I heard their little feet running through the house. When my 5 year old daughter and my 4 year old son entered the kitchen with huge smiles on their faces, I felt the tears forming in my eyes.

“Daddy, I made you a picture,” Darcy squealed, handing me her masterpiece.

Seeing the picture she drew of us together, made the tears fall down my face. I tried to hide my tears by turning my head away, but they saw. “Waddy why are you wrying?” Edaward frowned, tugging on my shirt. I pulled my children onto my lap, kissing both of them on the forehead.

“Daddy’s going away for awhile,” I admitted, and (Y/N) broke down. She quickly left the room, but we could still hear her sobs.

“Where are you going?” Darcy asked, a look of confusion crossing her face. “Why is mommy upset?”

“I know this may not make sense, but remember what I told you?” I began.

“You told us you were going to be a hero,” She said, still not understanding where I was going with this

“Like superman,” Edward added, proudly.

“Not exactly,” I chuckled solemnly. “While I’m gone I want you to be strong, and take care of mommy. Can you do that for me?”

Darcy nodded, and tears began sliding down her face. “Why do you have to leave?” She sobbed, burying her face in my chest. When Edward saw her crying, he started crying too.

“Shhh don’t cry,” I soothed. I lifted Darcy’s chin so she was looking me in the eye. “I want you to be a big girl for Edwayd and Mommy. I need you to be my little soldier and watch over them, while I’m gone. Can you do that for me?”

She nodded, sitting up a little straighter. “Now show me your soldier stance,” I commanded, pulling a small smile on my face.

She hopped off my lap, standing at attention with little Edward following behind her. Seeing them like this, reminded me how much I was going to miss. And God it hurt.