Black Roses

Harry’s POV

I woke up to the sound of an empty house. No water running. No commotion in the kitchen. Silence. I rolled over to find her side of the bed empty. I stumbled down the stairs. No (Y/N). I searched the entire house, but couldn’t find (Y/N) anywhere. Frustrated, I stumbled to the fridge downing some orange juice, not even caring that I was drinking straight from the carton.

Then I saw it. There on the counter a envelope with my name written on it in her unmistakable handwriting. I sat down letter in hand, and I my heart dropped as I opened the letter. Deep down I already knew what it said, but I read anyway.

Dear Harry,

I can’t do this anymore. We can’t keep going on pretending that everything is alright, when we both know we are unhappy. How did we get like this? To a point where all the love is gone. There was a time where we were inseparable. Now we feel so distant, I feel like I don’t even know you anymore. That’s why I’m leaving. Don’t try and stop me. I’ve been thinking about this for a while. I just couldn’t handle it any longer. I’m sorry. 

I stared at the word, which soon became blurry from my tears. I sat there just staring at her last words, the power of her words sinking in. I couldn’t believe she was gone. I knew we were going through a tough time, but I didn’t think she would leave. She was gone, just like the wind.

I stood up, suddenly overcome with a desire to drink. I didn’t care that it was 10 o’clock in the morning, I just went to pour myself a shot. I grabbed the glass, and there on the counter was a single black rose, as if there to taunt me, a cruel joke. 

Rage filled my heart. I threw my glass across the room, watching shatter against the wall. I hated her. How could she leave me like this? How did I let it get this bad? I took the rose in my hand. It was dead and lifeless just like our love. Life isn’t fair.

I slid down my back against the counter, just staring at the rose. Her heart was a million miles away, and I couldn’t do anything about it. “Happy early valentine’s day to me,” I muttered, tossing the rose aside. I didn’t know how I would survive without her, but I would have to figure it out.