Do You Care? - Virgil x Patton

Trigger warning: suicidal thoughts

Virgil looked down at the paper gripped tightly in his hands, reading over the words with blurry eye sight due to tears welling up in his eyes.

"Dammit" he muttered, throwing the paper to the side. "No one cares!" He sobbed, laying on his bed and staring at the ceiling, sniffling every few seconds.

"Why would they? I ruin everything" he muttered, tugging his blanket closer. He kept telling himself no one cared, over and over like a mantra...but for some reason he didn't believe it fully...he needed proof.

Sitting up slowly he rubbed his aching head, picking up the paper he left on his bed, biting his lip. He couldn't do this....could he? Well...no one would care, right? Right...

Knowing hiding in the imagination wouldn't work he breathed in deeply and closed his eyes, a few seconds later he opened his eyes, sighing in relief when he looked down at his small, black paws.

He turned himself into a black kitten so he could easily hide while being in the same room as the others. Scurrying under his bed he fell asleep - waiting for the morning to arrive.

Hours later the sun rose, Virgil waking up when his door was swung open and the regal trait walked in.

"Emo nightmare?" He called, noticing the note on the bed. With narrowed eyes he slowly picked it up, reading it over.

Virgil peeked from under the bed, watching as Romans hands began to shake and tears well in his eyes.

"No" he muttered, shaking his head. "It can't be..." he dropped the note and dashed from the room, Virgil listened to his feet running down the hallway until it went silent. The note had glided to the floor, Virgil waiting in anticipation and guilt.

Did Roman really care? He seemed to...

Soon enough Logan and Patton ran in, both reading the note. Patton burst into tears while Logan's face went blank of emotion, the note sliding from his fingers and once more to the ground.

Patton followed suit, curling into a ball and sobbing viscously. Logan was frozen, not moving from the standing up position he was in.

Virgil was about to crawl out from under the bed but Roman rushed back in, making him pause his movements.

The distraught trait picked up the note, reading it over once more. "Fuck" he muttered, cleaning his eyes. "This is my fault"

It's not your fault, Princey, Virgil thought, staring up at him.

"I-...he's gone"

Virgil knew this had gone on long enough, he snuck out of the room and changed to human in the hallway. He was hesitant upon entering the room, thinking the worst. The traits are going to be furious...but it's better then them being in this state.

He slowly walked into the room, watching Roman pace the room, tugging his hair in a tight grip. Logan was still frozen, eyes calculating, Virgil knew he was trying to think why he would've..killed himself.

And Patton...Virgils heart shattered when he saw his love curled on the floor, sobs echoing throughout the room. He shuffled across the carpet, kneeling next to Patton, Roman and Logan were to occupied to even notice him...

"Bambi" he whispered softly, gently placing a hand on his shoulder. Patton flinched at the nickname, lifting his head from his arms. "An-gel?" His voice cracked, wiping away his tears quickly.

Virgil gripped Pattons hands through his sleeves, nodding with a small smile. "Yeah...it's me...I'm s-"

"VIRGIL!" He screamed, tugging him into a tight hug.

His yell snapped Logan and Roman from their trance, eyes focusing on Patton and Virgil...

"You're alive" Roman uttered to himself, choking down a sob he collapsed onto the ground next to them, pulling them into a hug. Logan watched the three, his mind going blank. He was alive, that was all that mattered.

Instead of joining the hug he left the room and stood in the hallway, he needed some time to process this.

"I'm sorry" Virgil mumbled, cleaning his wet cheeks. "I-I didn't think you'd care" he whispered, making Patton gasp and Roman shake his head quickly.

"We care for you, Verge! All of us, why would you ever think otherwise?" Roman asked, frowning and holding the trait closer.

Virgil shrugged, "y-you all seemed to h-hate me" he muttered, fidgeting with his sleeve. "I'm-"

"Don't apologise, Angel, this isn't your fault... okay?" Patton caressed his cheek, still crying as much as before but he was smiling. "I love you so much...everyone else cares about you more than you think, I know your bad thoughts can get out of control but please...ending your life isn't - and never will be - the solution to your problems"

"It never fixes problems" Logan spoke up, entering the room once more, staring down at Virgil who looked up at him. "It passes them onto someone else" he sat down close but didn't join the hug.

"I never will understand why you thought ending your life would be the answer and I apologise for that...but understand we care, even if we do not show it, all you have to do is speak up. We will not hate you for it, or you could speak to Thomas - how could he hate a part of himself?" Virgil reached over and held the logical sides hand, a small, watery smile on his lips.

"Thank you, Logan"

Logan held Virgils hand back, nodding in reply.

"You can talk to us, hot topic" Roman chuckled.

"And promise us...if you ever feel that away again, tell us...please, I couldn't live without you, Angel" Patton begged, impossibly close to his boyfriend. Roman let the two get close, shuffling back next to Logan.

"You did good" Roman whispered, giving him a small smile.

"Thank you"

"I promise, Bambi" Virgil leaned up, pressing a short kiss to Pattons lips. "I love you" he whispered, cuddling into his chest.

Patton hugged him so tightly. "I love you, too, so much!"

Thanks for the request!