Chapter 106

Oh, pillar in the sky, guide us toward salvation! Guide us toward peace! You have stood before us with great magnitude and have offered us feeble beings with hope and recovery. Stony moss covers every surface, building onto your very character, as large buildings made of wood hang down, decorating the view for all to see. The winged spiral around you as you are their home, and their entire life. Without you, would there even be some sort of harmony? Oh, how much I yearn to see you in all of your glory, but I worry for many things. You may appear the same, but one hundred years before, many differences had occurred. You are different. Still a pillar of peace but differing from what you were. From the glory you once held. I fear that upon looking at you, my heart will shatter into millions of jagged pieces. Pieces that could easily be driven into skin effortlessly. I worry for not only my heart, but my sanity. So much remains, but in a disfigured shape. Old buildings I have passed have been nothing but rubble and devastated memories. I find much solace in you, but I fear that will be you. Old memories that are like a jackknife to the heart. As I approach, I pray that you will fill me with all the joy, love, and fondness that I have felt before in your presence. But most importantly, safety and security.

Link and I continued our journey into the night. We stopped near the Outskirt Stable, as Link conquered the nearby shrine. After he did his, he came out, completely forgetting what Impa had asked him. I guess it didn't really matter. After which, we headed northwest to Manhala Bridge, before looping around Satori Mountain. As Link was busy gathering up random things from the ground, my eyes continued to flicker toward the Sanidin Park Ruins, where a memory waited effortlessly. However, he completely missed it, continuing to drag me along. From the other side of Jeddo Bridge, the ever so faint sound of an accordion could be heard. "What's that?" Link squinted, looking across the bridge at a bulge of blue. Though Link was hesitant, I continued over the beaten up bridge as normal. Stopping in front of the familiar Rito, I jumped off my horse, before listening to the Rito's sweet music. Eventually, the bird man stopped, as he stared down at me from his rock. His amber eyes widened but closed soon after.

"Oh! I did not hear your approach. I was lost in this song written by my late teacher. He passed away several years ago, you see... And this was the last song he taught me." Kass spoke, as I gazed at him from down below. I've seen him all grown up before... but this was too much for me. He was an adult, and I couldn't help but feel like I aged one hundred years.

"Well, the song is very beautiful... Your teacher would be proud..." I muttered, tightening my hands together, trying to contain all the emotions I was feeling.

"You seem very familiar. Do I happen to know you?" I froze up, before shaking my head, not wanting to answer him directly. "Can I have your name?" The Rito questioned, as I froze up once more. Before I could even hope to answer him, Link made himself known. The bird man looked to him, then down at his hip to see a familiar device. "Th-that there... on your hip! ... No, I'm sorry – it's nothing. I didn't mean to pry."

"Are you a... bird?" Link asked nonchalantly, not meaning how offensive it sounded. The Rito raised an eyebrow at the question.

"Have you... never met a Rito before? Odd. My name is Kass. As a bard, I spend my days traveling this land in search of ancient songs. Have you heard of the ancient songs of Hyrule?" Kass queried.

"Ancient songs?" Link tilted his head to the side, before Kass continued, from atop his rock.

"Ancient songs – songs that sing the praises of a hero who beat back the Calamity in an age past. I know a song about this place. Would you like to hear the ancient verse passed down in this region?" The blond knight took a glance in my direction, before I softly nodded, indicating that this was more than worth indulging.