Sick [Poly Hamilton]

Cough! Cough!

Alexander glanced at his boyfriend, worried.

"Aaron, are you sure you're alright?" He asked.

Aaron waved him off, still coughing lightly. "I'm fine Alexander." He wheezed before clearing his throat.

Lafayette looked away from his book, frowning. "Are you certain?" He asked, concern bleeding into his voice. "You've been sick for nearly a month now."

"I'm fine." Aaron insisted. "Just a common cold. It's been going around work lately."

"Aaron, people don't normally stay sick for a month." John said.

"Oh my god." Aaron said. "I'm fine!"

He coughed loudly and didn't stop for a few minutes.

"Okay, that's it." Hercules said. "You need to go to a doctor."

Aaron glared. "I do not!"

"Yes," They all said. "You do."

Grumbling, Aaron pulled out his phone and made a quick call. A few minutes later, Aaron placed his phone down with a sigh.

"There. I have an appointment for Thursday. Happy?" He said.

"We're just worried about you love." Hercules said softly, kissing Aaron's forehead.

Aaron leaned into it with a small sigh.

"I know." He murmured. "Doesn't make it any less annoying."

---

"I don't think anything is wrong. It seems to just be a common cold." The doctor said, leaning away.

Aaron sighed in relief. "Thank you doctor."

He grabbed his coat, biding the doctor goodbye and headed home.

---

Even though the doctor had said Aaron had a simple common cold, he couldn't stop coughing.

"Aaron," Hercules called from the kitchen. "Dinner!"

"Okay!" Aaron yelled back, before coughing heavily. He wandered down to the dinning room, feeling exhausted.

"Hey love." John said, kissing his cheek. 

Aaron smiled tiredly. "Hello."

He sat at the table, his stomach turning at the sight of all the food. He felt nauseous from the smell of fresh cooked food.

"Aaron?" Alexander asked, noticing his queasy expression. "Are you alright?"

"I'm not hungry." He said weakly, abruptly pulling away from the table and racing back to his room before he threw up. He didn't notice the extremely worried gazes of his lovers.

---

"I'm really worried." John said, curling around Lafayette. "There's no way this is just some common cold."

Alexander nodded, anxiety all over his face. He hated when anyone he cared about got sick. After his mother's death, he got extremely anxious when someone got sick. "I think he needs to go back to the doctor."

"Yeah." Hercules said. They were all startled when a thump was heard upstairs.

"Aaron!" Alexander cried, rushing upstairs, the others quick to follow.

"Aaron!" John cried, rushing to the man, who was kneeling on the ground with a hand over his mouth, coughing heavily.

"Aaron, what's wrong?" John asked, trying to remove Aaron's hand from his mouth. His eyes widened with horror when he saw blood seep through Aaron's fingers. Aaron was gasping, taking in shaky, wheezed breathes. Almost like he couldn't breath.

"Aaron..." Lafayette whispered. Aaron let out a sob and coughed up more blood.

"We have to get him to a doctor." Hercules said. Lafayette nodded, quickly helping Aaron up, who stumbled a bit, hand still clutched over his mouth.

"Come on love." John said, trying and failing to keep the worry out of his voice. "We're going to the doctor's now."

---

"I'm very sorry," The doctor said. "But I'm afraid Mr Burr has Stage 4 lung cancer."

Everyone in the room could swear the world stopped.

"N-No..." Alexander stammered, falling to his knees in shock. "No. T-That can't be right! Aaron's fine!" He screamed. " He can't have lung cancer! YOU'RE WRONG!"

"Alexandre please!" Lafayette sobbed.

"Alexander, please try to calm down." Hercules said, tears building up in his eyes as well.

"Is there..." John swallowed, pushing back tears. "Is there anything we can do? Any way we can, we can stop it?" He whispered.

"We might be able to help with radiation therapy, chemotherapy and surgery." The doctor sighed heavily. "But there is a low possibility that Mr Burr will survive. I am very sorry, but I'm afraid the most we can do is extend his life period."

Lafayette sobbed, and everyone was quick to follow.

---

"AARON!" Alexander cried, rushing into the hospital room where Aaron was laying. He hugged Aaron tightly, sobbing into him.

"Hey Alex..." Aaron muttered, voice weak and quiet.

John barely contained a sob when he saw how weak and frail Aaron looked. He was pale, and looked incredibly tired.

"Hey Aaron." Hercules said softly, walking over and squeezing his hand tightly.

"Don't look so down." Aaron said, managing a weak smile.

"Aaron. You're dying." Lafayette sobbed. "How can we not look down?"

Aaron's eyes softened and he squeezed Hercules' hand. "I know." He said quietly. "But I still have some time. So let's enjoy it while we can." He said with a smile.

Aaron Burr died on September 14th, 2017 at age 24.