Fear [Washington Family]

Alexander walked along the long hallway, looking around. His pillow was clutched tightly to his chest, tears were sliding down his cheeks. Alexander whimpered when a crack of lightening hit down outside, illuminating the corridor.

He broke into a small dash, racing into his adoptive father's bedroom. Clutching his pillow and favorite teddy bear tightly, he walked over to the bed and crawled in, curling up against his new father's side.

The man gave a small grunt and opened his eyes, blinking wearily down at the tiny boy.

"Alexander...?" He mumbled, rubbing the sleep away from his eyes. Thunder boomed in the distance and Alexander whimpered again, curling up and pressing himself closer against George's side, finding comfort in the older's man's warmth. George Washington blinked in surprise, before wrapping his arms around his son.

The two sat in silence for hours, waiting the storm out. Once it turned into just a rainstorm, George pulled away from Alexander a little bit so he could see the boy's face. It was teary and scared. Tear tracks were visible on his cheeks and his eyes were red and puffy, filled with fear.

"Alexander, you don't like storms?"

The boy shook his head furiously, burying it in George's chest.

"I-It's like it was back h-home. Loud. Scary." He whimpered again, squeezing his eyes shut and clinging onto George. George frowned, and hugged the boy tightly. The people at the orphanage had mentioned that Alexander went through some trauma back in the Caribbean, but never specified what happened.

"Do you want to tell me about it?" George asked. "Sometimes talking about it helps."

"B-Big hurricane." The boy stuttered, sniffing a bit. "Killed lots of people. Killed Mama."

Alexander sniffed again, tears falling from his face and soaking George's sleep shirt.

"Well you don't have to worry here Alexander. No hurricanes are coming." George reassured.

Alexander looked at him with big eyes and a quivering lip. "I don't want e-everyone to disappear again!" He whimpered.

George placed a kiss on his head, before rolling over so Alexander could see Martha. "Look Alexander, Martha's still here. She's not going anywhere."

"B-But what about L-Lafayette?" He asked in a small voice.

George smiled kindly at him, sitting up and gently placing the small boy in his lap. "Do you wanna go check on him?"

Alexander nodded, but didn't move. "I don't wanna go a-alone." He whispered, clinging onto George's neck.

"We can go together Alexander." He said.

They left the bedroom and walked over to Lafayette's room. "See, he's fine." George said, looking down at his son who was holding his hand tightly.

Alexander padded over to Lafyette, just to make sure the younger boy was really alright. He walked back over to George who picked him up.

"Let's go back to bed."

The next morning Martha found them laying on the couch, Alexander curled up in George's arms.