The Tale of the Missing Wedding Rings: part 3

The five of them fanned out, hoping to soon run into that beast, and get the rings back. They did not have to start getting anxious until they heard the bells (which had been hung on the sacred branches of Yggdrasil) begin to ring. That meant that the important people were starting to arrive. Thor rushed around, searching in all the tight places cats would like to go. Sif ventured in the direction of Frigga's chambers to see if the animal had taken refuge with its mistress. The Warriors Three searched the banquet hall, the kitchens, and eventually went to the wine cellars. After a long time hunting, they all met up in the gardens. "We've looked everywhere, Thor. But that feline has hidden itself well. I think our only hope is that it stumbles onto us," Fandral told him. Thor was about to say something, but they heard a meow coming from above them. All five of them looked up and saw Merlin lounging in the branches above their heads! The cat licked its paws and brushed its whiskers. It seemed completely unaware that it was getting the death glare from the Prince of Asgard, Lady Sif, and the Warriors Three. That was when Thor turned back to his friends.

"Does anyone of you have a treat of some remnant of food in your pockets?" he queried. Nobody bothered to search. They all turned to Volstagg, who blushed and began to fumble in his pockets. Finally, he pulled out what was left of a leg of pheasant. He hand it to Thor, before he got smacked upside the head by Hogun. "Here kitty, kitty! Look what Thor has for you. A delicious leg of pheasant. Come on down and have it. It's yours," Thor told Merlin. The cat gave him a condescending look and slicked its ears back. Finally, he stretched (revealing his claws), yawned, and raised his tail. Thor crossed his fingers behind his back, and lifted the leg up for Merlin to smell. The cat began his climb down, his nose wriggling at the scent of pheasant. Soon, he was only a few feet away from them. Thor looked the cat over but saw no rings. His eyes narrowed and he jumped up. Merlin was not expecting an assault, so Thor caught him by the scruff of his neck. Merlin tried to reach the pheasant but Thor held it just out of his reach. "Where are those rings, you stupid feline?!" Thor vehemently asked the cat. The cat hissed at Thor and suddenly its eyes went green and its mouth opened.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Merlin asked in a human voice. Thor gasped. A second later, he cried out when Merlin scratched him across the face. He dropped to the floor and bounded out of sight!

End of Part 3