The Midgard Vacation Tale: Part 3

Loki quickly pushed his way through and made it to the railing that separated the stands from lists.  Several people parted before him, remarking on his strange clothing.  Loki just fingered the daggers he had and ignored them.  He looked out onto the arena and saw that Thor was waiting for a challenger.  For a moment, he was half tempted to step in, just to fight him, but somebody beat him to it.  A tall man, built like an ox, came out.  Loki felt his heart quake within him.  He quickly looked at Thor and saw that he was also stunned for a moment.  Loki placed a hand on one of his knives and then stepped into the lists.  Several people cried out and told Loki to come back.  Thor turned and recognized his brother, as Loki was not wearing a helmet.

“Get back!  You’re going to ruin it!” he whispered vehemently.  Instead, Loki turned and faced the king.  He gave him a slightly bow and then raised a hand, commanding silence. 

“I have a challenge for you.  Let’s participate in a melee.  You send your best at us, and if we defeat them, you must honor us,” Loki said.  The mortals looked at their king with surprise and apprehension.  He stood up and looked down at Loki and Thor and smiled ever so slightly.

“I am King John of England, and I accept your challenge.  We will have a melee.  Just, answer us one thing, who are you, and what hope to two boys have against battle hardened warriors?”  When King John asked that, several other men appeared, bearing heavy swords, axes, and maces.  Thor and Loki looked around.  Loki smirked and Thor licked his lips.  Loki then glanced back at King John.

“We are the sons of Odin, Thor and Loki of Asgard!  You will not forget us!”  With that, Loki took one of his daggers and leapt into the air.  He threw it at the first man he had seen, the ox, and whispered magic words.  It turned the dagger into a missile of ice, and it crashed through his armor.  The man fell with a cry, and the people screamed.  Thor’s eyes popped before he turned to face his own opponent.  Loki heard the sound of metal against metal, but he did not allow that to distract.  Loki turned and threw his second dagger at an enemy who was approaching from behind him.  Without looking, Loki hit him right between the eyes.  Loki did a back flip to avoid being hit by a mace.  He landed on his feet 

When he turned he did not see the hilt of the sword that hit him in the head.  Loki stumbled and a hand went to his temple.  When he drew his fingers away, he saw blood.  The blow surprisingly did not hurt him, but he was still bleeding.  When he turned to face the man who did it, he saw him stepping back, a horrified expression on his face.  “He’s healing!  Witchcraft!” the knight called and he ran away.  Loki saw from the reflection off his brother’s armor, that the blow he had taken to the head was indeed healing!  Loki smiled and then gripped his last two daggers in his hands.  He turned to the mortals, and then charged with a mighty roar.

End of Part 3