The Tale of Bastille Day: Part 2

When Loki returned to Paris, he was not surprised to see that it was still as chaotic as ever. The activity of the guillotine had increased tenfold; and peasantry, as well as the nobility, were its victims. Loki was disgusted by the death and decay the revolution had done to the city and the country. He could not save the masses, so he contented himself with saving the few. In a day's time, the French would celebrate their independence, called Bastille Day. Loki was going to plan the largest rescue and blow up their day. He chuckled to himself, but Charles elbowed him to make him wipe the smile of his face. "Remember, we're in France. They haven't smiled in a thousand years," Charles told him and they both laughed.

There were hardly any safe houses in Paris, but there was one place that belonged to a Catholic priest. Loki always stayed there when he was in town. He knocked on the door and the wizened, old man opened it. "What's the password?" he asked with one closed eye and a twisted lip.

"Let us in, or it's my atheist boot in your Catholic ass," Loki told him. While Charles had to choke on his saliva to keep himself from exploding, the priest just opened his mouth once, twice, and then let them in.

"I'll convert you one of these days, you British windbag," Father Pierre said.

"In your dreams, you French donkey," Loki responded.

"It's more fun to watch you two bicker, than to piss off the French. Believe it or not," Charles said as he sat down on a cot that was against the wall. Father Pierre snorted and went to get them some cognac. Loki pulled out forged documents for the aristos they were rescuing. He examined the names, and the seals to make sure they would pass muster. The priest came back and gave them glasses. Loki downed his in one gulp and stood up.

"These passports will do. Come Charlie. We only stopped to check in with the good Father Pierre. Now, we're off to prepare for an explosive Bastille Day!"

End of Part 2