The Tale of Loki's Punishment: Part 1

Loki sat in his chambers, meditating. His eyes were closed, and his hands were resting on his knees. He breathed in deep, before he let it out slowly. The doors were locked, and both Frigga and Volva had been forced to cast spells on it and the windows. Volva said that it was the only way for them to keep Loki in. There was no need though. Loki had said that he would accept the consequences of his actions. And he had good reason to. Sigyn and the baby had survived as soon as Helbindi was dead. The child was a boy, and they had named him Vali. He had black hair, pale skin, and his ears were slightly pointed. He was a beautiful boy, but his mother was in mourning. Her husband was going to be punished, and she could not join him wherever Odin was sending him.

The doors unlocked and opened, as did Loki's eyes. He turned around and saw that Thor, Sif, and the Warriors Three were standing there. "It's time, Loki," Thor said. The expression on his face was sorrowful, but Loki did not show weakness. He stood up and walked to them. Sif made a move to put some restraints on him, but Thor waved her away. They walked Loki through the hallways, servants parting so they might pass. Everyone was solemn and sad. Loki was the Prince of Mischief, but he was a pleasant person, and many of the palace staff liked him. They knew that Helbindi was trying to kill his son and his wife, so the only thing Loki could do was slay him first. Odin was doing this only to pacify the Frost Giants.

"Loki, Odinson, you have committed the crime of murder within the sacred regions of Asgard. As punishment for your crime, you shall be banished to the realm of Midgard for a period of twenty years. When those twenty years are completed, you may return to the Realm Eternal. You will maintain all your powers, but you cannot call on Heimdall to bring you back," Odin said. Loki's eyes widened and then narrowed when he heard that Odin was allowing him to keep his powers. That meant that if the Frost Giants tried to attack him on Midgard, he could defend himself. Because Odin banished him, this would protect Asgard against a war with Jotunheim. But, it would not protect him personally from their vengeance. The All-Father was giving him a fighting chance. Odin was helping Loki and the Asgardians at the same time. "You may say good bye to your wife and son. Then, you must be sent on your way," Odin told him. Loki bowed deeply and turned to face Thor.

"We will miss you Loki," Thor told him. Loki nodded and he followed them out of the chamber.

End of Part 1