The Tale of Loki's Diminutive Day: Part 2

Part 2

Loki tried every enchantment he could think of, but nothing was working.  He was soon pulling his hair out by the roots.   When Loki first opened his mouth to shout, his voice was so squeaky it scared him.  Loki’s eyes narrowed and he said, “Curses on you Verdandi!  I will become myself again.”  Loki then faced the challenge that was before him.  These cursed stairs!  Loki closed his eyes and raised his arms over his head, muttering magical words of the old Vanir.  When he opened his eyes and turned back, he was looking down the stairs.  He had teleported himself to the top!  Loki wanted to eventually get to the point where he could do it with his mind.  Loki grinned but when he faced forward again, he saw a huge foot about to step on him.  Loki let out a cry and took a giant (for his size) step backwards.  He stepped on air and started to fall.  Loki managed to make his landing soft and he did a flip for a couple more stairs until the servant had past him.  When he finally stopped, he was almost at the bottom again.  Loki growled and had to teleport himself again. 

When he reached the top again, Loki felt a little woozy.  Using old spells of the Vanir drained the power and energy from a person, unless they were masters.  Frigga could use them for hours and not tire because she was a Vanir by birth, and she had been training with it for centuries.  Loki still had a ways to go before he was that good.  Loki started walking away from the steps.  Now that he was the size of an ant, it gave him new perspective on the palace.  When he saw one of the many fountains, he studied it, seeing some condensation near a crack at the bottom.  It was a rivulet to him, but to other people, it was a drip.  “That’s going to burst soon,” Loki said in his high voice.  He frowned when he heard it, and then he stomped off.  He saw that there were dust balls shoved into corners, and most of them were larger than him.  He huffed at the laziness of the servants.

Loki had just turned a corner when he heard a female’s voice.  Because he was so small, it sounded like an avalanche coming towards him.    “Come on Urðr!  We’re going to be late!  Thor and Loki are there with Verdandi!” he heard Skuld say.  Skuld was the youngest of the Norns, with Urðr being the middle one.  Urðr was the most serious of the three, and only second to her older sister in magic.  Because of this, she sensed Loki’s diminished presence.  She turned and started to crouch down.  Loki began to run as fast as his legs could carry him, but when Urðr was on her knees, she was looking him in the face.

“Why hello Lord Loki.  What has my sister done to you?” she queried as she reached a monstrous hand towards him.  Loki stared at her large fingers as they approached and thought to himself, ‘I would rather die than be exposed to Asgard in this form!’  As her hand got closer, Loki raised his own and began to cast his own spell.  Would he finish the incantation before Urðr’s hand closed in around him?!

End of Part 2