The Tale of the Norseman: Part 4

The Frost Giant roared and threw a knife at Loki. Loki jumped from the tree and flipped over him, slicing his back with his scepter. The Frost Giant bellowed again, and turned, but he received the butt of the scepter in the face. "Please make this quick. I have guests to see to," Loki said haughtily. The Frost Giant was about to roar again, but with a wave of his hand, Loki sealed his lips shut. "I hate loud mouthed brutes," he said. He drew a knife from his boot, and came in. The Frost Giant swung a carefully concealed club, Loki ducked, and drove his dagger under the Frost Giant's sternum. "Like I said, I have guests." He withdrew the dagger and pushed the body into the river. Whispering another spell, it sunk, disappearing from his sight.

A few minutes later, with his hair straightened, and his clothes back to normal, Loki rejoined his guests. "Where did you go to, Loki? I was positively bored without you," the prince said.

Loki bowed and smiled lazily before responding, "Indeed sire, business always seems to find me."

"What business, Loki? At this hour?" the prince asked.

"The business that takes every man after indulging in too much good wine," Loki answered. The ladies present made faces, but all the men burst out laughing. The prince slapped Loki on the back, and for a brief moment, Loki became nostalgic. He was thinking of all the times Thor slapped him on the back. It always felt like a ton of bricks had landed on him, but now, he missed it. He missed Thor's laugh, his mother's constant worrying, and his arguments with Sif. He missed it all very much.

"Monsieur Odinson? Would you please lead my daughter in the pavane?" the Comte de Burgundy asked Loki. Loki turned and looked at the petite French flower and smiled.

"Of course, monsieur. Everyone, let us eat, drink, dance, and make merry. For here, we are free!" Loki called and everyone raised their glasses to him. Loki extended his hand and Mademoiselle Helene accepted it. Loki led her out, bowed, and raised his arm. Her hand met his, and he felt a pang in his heart for his true love: Sigyn.

The End