Spring Cleaning: Part 4

Loki was outside repairing the front gate, when Fandral paid Thor and Tony a secret visit. "I whispered around and spoke to Frigga. She told me everything," Fandral said as he sat down on a sofa. Tony gave Thor a sideways glance, and Thor looked back. They did not know if they would like the news, but at least they would know. "Loki was brought to Odin secretly, but the Queen has her ways. As you may or may not know, Loki lost his wife Sigyn many years ago. We believe that her death at the hands of his own son, may have driven Loki to do what he did."

"Time out! Loki's own son killed his own mother?! What the hell is that all about?!" Tony asked loudly, turning to Thor. Thor opened his mouth to speak, but that was when they both looked up and saw all the other Avengers (Loki excepted), standing in the doorway. "Ohhh..." Tony said, his voice trailing off.

"As I was saying," Fandral continued, "Her body is preserved by magic and she looks the way she did the day she died. Beautiful. Odin told Loki that if he forgave Thor, and worked with the Avengers to do good, Odin would make a deal with Hela to release Sigyn's soul!" The Avengers gasped as they realized the importance of this promise.

"If Loki works with us, Odin will get his wife's soul back? No wonder he's been so nice! That's a pretty good bargain," Clint said. Natasha elbowed him in the side, and he winced. Fandral smiled, but sadly.

"What is it?" Steve asked. Fandral glanced at Thor and the prince nodded.

"Hela, the Goddess of the Dead, drives a hard bargain. She doesn't give up a soul, especially a valuable one like Sigyn's, for gold or power. She'll only accept another, one of equal or greater worth. The only three souls in the universe that are greater than Sigyn's are: Loki's, my Father's, and mine. In Hela's eyes of course. Now that I hear this, I think my brother means to trade my soul for hers. And he would be right to do so."

"You're kidding me, Thor! Surely that's not true!" Natasha said stoutly. Thor shook his head.

"I was supposed to protect her while Loki dealt with his son. Vali was powerful, like his father. He got the upper hand, and came for his mother, knowing she was Loki's other weak point. I was basically Vali's father for years while Loki was banished from Asgard. A tale for another day. Because of that connection, I let him fool me. Vali beat me, and before my eyes and the eyes of his father, he murdered his own mother. You want to know why? Because he thought without her to distract him, Loki would love him more than he already did."

The End