The Cousins Visit Tale: Part 1

Part 1

Loki watched as Thor walked on his hands.  He was sitting on the edge of a wall not too far away from him, juggling four glass balls.  If he dropped one and they broke, he had to give Thor fifty pushups.  If Thor failed to remain on his hands for three minutes, then he owed Loki a jig.  Loki’s price seemed lighter than Thor’s, but his demanded some pride (if anyone saw Thor doing a jig, it would be embarrassing).  Both boys were picking up the pace; Thor was going faster, while Loki was juggling at an amazing speed.  They were both thinking that neither of them would win, when Frigga’s voice called out, “Boys!  You’re cousins are here!”  Loki dropped his juggling balls at the same time Thor lost his balance and fell on his back.  They were silent for a moment, and then they turned to face each other.

“You went first!” they said, pointing a finger at one another.  That was when they heard shouts coming from the steps.  They turned and saw their cousins approaching them, with their aunts, and their mother following them.

“Boys, you remember your Aunt Hera, and your Aunt Isis.  Your uncles are discussing something with your father, but they brought the families along.  Isn’t that marvelous?!” Frigga asked.  She had no clue what the boys were thinking.  Thor was saying to himself, ‘The last time I got together with Ares and Sekhmet, they both broke my practice weapons.’  Meanwhile, Loki was thinking, ‘Brilliant!  I honestly think that Hermes and Seth are more trouble than even me!

“I’m so glad to see you both again,” Hera said as she kissed them.  Isis hugged and kissed them as well, and they got a good whiff of her exotic perfume.  Loki had to hold his breath to keep from coughing up his lung. 

“It’s been so long seen we’ve seen you, we decided that it was time to make the trip.  But it’s so hard to convince Amun to come here and see Odin,” Isis said, the last part being to Frigga.

“So that’s whose she’s married to now.  Last time it was Osiris,” Loki said, whispering to Thor.  Thor snickered and then noticed that both Ares and Sekhmet were looking at them.  Hermes and Seth (who were the same age as Loki, ten), were too busy studying the shards of glass; all that was left of Loki’s glass balls. 

“Well, we’ll leave you boys together.  Play nice,” Frigga said as she led Hera and Isis away.  The moment they were out of earshot, Hermes and Seth started throwing the glass at each other.  Ares and Sekhmet decided that they had to decide who was the better one right then and there.

Loki turned to his brother and said, “Never tell these guys to play nice.  Now we both know something bad is going to happen.”  Thor never really liked admitting that Loki was right, but in this case, he had no choice.   

End of Part 1