The Tale of the Norseman: Part 2

The guests walked around the well-lit gardens and grounds of Valhalla Hall. The wine flowed and the laughter peeled through the balmy summer air. The aristocracy of England loved coming to Valhalla Hall for parties and retreats. The land was beautiful, and the owner twice as beautiful. Loki was the most sought after young noble in the whole of England, but he remained a 'bachelor.' Loki had paintings of Sigyn and his son up all over the manor house, and everyone admired them. He had described them to the artist, while making them look like normal people. Every day, he looked into Sigyn's eyes and counted down the days.

Now, however, Loki walked down the great steps of his house, and extended his arms to his most auspicious guest. "Prince George! You honor me with your presence," Loki said grandly as he gave the Prince of Wales a deep bow.

"Loki! Oh don't be ridiculous! Did you think I would miss a party at your house?" Prince George asked. Loki shrugged and they embraced before Loki led him outside.

"Everyone! The Prince of Wales has arrived! He has graced my house with his presence. Let us celebrate! Also, this evening, we welcome the Comte and Comtesse de Burgundy with their three children from France. They will be staying with me for a time," Loki said. Prince George went to the Comte and greeted him with a broad smile and a solid clap on his back. Loki smiled at the Comtesse and her three children: a teenage daughter, a preteen son, and a little boy. They were sentenced to the guillotine, to be butchered. But, the Norseman had saved them from a horrible death. Loki had met them at the port and brought them to his house. Now, they would stay there until they found a place of their own.

Loki watched the merriment from under the spreading branches of an apple tree. He breathed in the fresh scent and tried not to think of Sigyn and Vali, but he was failing miserably. "Monsieur?" he heard someone ask. Loki turned and saw the teenage daughter of the Comte, Lady Helene Marie de Burgundy. "I want to say merci for making this our home. We are most grateful," she told him. Loki smiled and turned to her, his mouth open and ready to speak. But he stopped. He saw another man in the party, looking right at him. In the flash of light from the torches, Loki thought he saw a hint of blue on his skin. He also thought he saw red eyes!

End of Part 2