The Tale of Bastille Day: Part 3

On Bastille Day, fireworks were going off and people were singing in the streets. Loki and Charlie weaved their way through the people, wearing their tri-color ribbons, and scarves. Charlie was wearing one of those foppish red caps, while Loki had maintained his tricorn hat. Everyone was waving tri-color plumes and flags in air, while the wine flowed freely. Several people were already sick and threw up onto the pavement. It was moments like this that made Loki wonder why Odin doted on the mortals so. They seemed so happy to destroy themselves, that he figured they might as well let them do it. Take over the planet and keep their dangerous enemies here. Oh well. That was the way he felt on bad days.

Today was anything but a bad day. Loki looked up at the statue of Robespierre they had built and he chuckled. He touched the stone with his smooth, pale hand, and he felt the grime that had settled on its base. He glanced over at Charlie, and saw him disappear into a sewer that led into La Force. Loki walked towards a platform that had been constructed for the ceremony. Loki knew that Robespierre, and many other members of the Committee of Public Safety, would be present. He had to stop himself from rubbing his hands together. He could not wait.

That was when a trumpet was blown, doors opened, and the Committee of Public Safety came out. The people screamed, "Long live the republic! Long live the revolution!" Robespierre raised his hands and the cheering became thunderous. Loki winced and continued to make his way through the crowd.

"My friends, my good people. Thank you for showing your support to the revolution, and our cause to purify this nation of the poisonous aristocrats! We have dealt with the king and his whore queen! Soon, the whole country will be free!" Robespierre announced, and the people chanted his name. He bowed and waved his hands several times, exulting in their praise.

"Why do you cheer?" a voice asked, and everyone turned to see a masked Loki sitting on the head of Robespierre's statue. "Will his gratitude for your 'loyalty' put food in your mouths? Will it give you shelter, or safety? No my friends, it will only bring you death."

"Who are you?!" Robespierre asked indignantly. Loki stood up, smirked, and bowed.

"Why I am the Norseman!"

End of Part 3