The Hunt for the Norseman Tale: Part 1

Citizen Moreau looked up from the deck of his ship and found himself staring at the beautiful rocky cliffs of England. A cold wind hit him and he pulled his great coat closer. He narrowed his eyes and thought of his mission. Robespierre had sent him as an ambassador to the English court. His cover was improving relations with the republic government and King George III, but in reality, he would be scouring the flowers of the realm to find the Norseman. That English bastard had almost sent him to the guillotine with that last stunt on Bastille Day. It was only by suggesting this idea to Robespierre that barely saved his life. He had to find the Norseman. His existence depended on it!

Loki liked to ride horses. They gave him a brief sense of freedom; for as long as he was going at top speed. Loki had managed to get a hold of, and breed the prettiest, fastest horses in all of England. He was racing them against other noble families' steeds, and winning. The Prince of Whales always bet on his horses, and won small fortunes each time. Loki just said that it was ironic. "You win money from betting on my animals; and that money comes right back to me at the card tables."

At that moment, on the back of his horse, Thunderer, Loki glanced over his shoulder to see his opponents. Charles was desperately trying to keep up on his steed, Black Sun. Loki laughed, gave his horse a pat on the backside with his riding crop, and surged forward. His crossing of the finish line was met with much cheering from noblemen and ladies. When Loki dismounted, Mademoiselle Helene de Burgundy came to him, threw her arms around his neck, and kissed him. Loki was very taken aback, but he behaved like a gentleman, and did not push her away. "You were marvelous, monsieur! Marvelous! No man stood a chance against you and your fine horse," Lady Helene said as she stroked Thunderer's neck with a white gloved hand. Loki smiled at her and turned to Charles, who had ridden up at this time.

"How's the search for a house for the de Burgundy's?" he queried quietly. Charles dismounted and placed a hand on Loki's shoulder. Loki saw a look in his eye, and he cocked his head to one side with interest.

"You shouldn't be worried about the de Burgundy's. We have a bigger problem. I just learned that Chief Moreau of the Committee of Public Safety is here to find the Norseman!"

End of Part 1