The Hunt for the Norseman Tale: Part 4

When Loki crossed the finish line and glanced over his shoulder, he was a half a mile ahead of the closest steed. Prince George bellowed loudly and gladly took the money that was owed him for the race. Loki dismounted and was surrounded by many beautiful and single young ladies. Lady Helene de Burgundy was amongst them, holding his one arm. "Please ladies, a little breath. I lost it all a mile back," Loki told him with a bright smile. Luckily, he was saved by the Prince of Wales.

"Marvelous ol' fellow! Fabulous! You've filled my pockets with money," Prince George told him.

"So glad to know that because if me, you've gained a few extra pounds," Loki remarked wittily, and everyone around them exploded with laughter. That was when he felt a hand on his shoulder and he turned around. At first he saw no one, and then he had to look down. That was when he saw Monsieur Moreau. "Ah, there you are! I didn't see you. You don't exactly stand out in a crowd," Loki told him. Citizen Moreau's visage became red and his mouth twitched.

"Sir! Have you heard of the Norseman?" he asked between gritted teeth.

"Have I heard of the Norseman?!" Loki asked in an incredibly loud voice. So loud, that everyone nearby heard him.

"Have we heard of the Norseman?" Prince George queried as well. He stood next to Moreau and was on the same height with him, but he was carrying more weight. "He's England's greatest hero! He risks his life to save the lives of others. Prayers are said for him every day in our churches, and the people worship him. He is the hope of every French aristocrat," the Prince of Wales responded, and everyone else agreed with him. Citizen Moreau frowned at this and realized that no one here was going to willingly volunteer the information, especially to him. If Moreau was going to learn anything, he was going to have to listen to the gossip about the Norseman. He had no idea that at that moment, Loki was looking at him hard.

Moreau had no clue that Loki was going to make this hunt even harder for him. Not because he was concerned for his own safety, but because he wanted a laugh. It had to be interesting, or Loki would not be properly stimulated. And that would be a crime!

The End