Coming of Age: Part 1

The dry wind of Sakaar blew in Loki's face and for a brief moment, he closed his eyes. When he opened them again, he saw two figures running toward him at a fast pace. Loki smiled and stood up, opening his arms to them. "Daddy!" a little girl said as she rushed into his arms. Loki was almost knocked down, but when his son reached him, he was thrown onto his back.

"Oof! Nari! You're too big to be doing that!" Loki told his son as he sat up. Nari, now thirteen-years-old, shrugged his shoulders and gave his father a cheeky grin. "Don't grin at me like that. I told you the last time that you couldn't do that. You hurt my back, and your mother had to take care of me," Loki said as he picked his daughter up and started to give her a piggy back.

"Bounce me, Daddy! Bounce me!" the little girl demanded.

"You're getting big too, Nat. Don't expect everything to be the same as when you were smaller," Loki said as they made their way down to a house cut from the rock.

"I'm only ten, Daddy," Nat said.

"Guess how big your uncle was at ten?" Loki said as Nari opened the door.

"He was so big, that he had to ride a stallion instead of a colt," Sigyn said, answering for the children. Loki nodded his head and put his daughter down. Nat ran over to her mother and gave her a hug. She had been born three years after her brother, long after they had settled on Sakaar. Loki was the chief of the local militia, keeping order in his settlement. Sigyn taught at the school there, and was quiet pleased with her position. Their daughter had been named after Natasha Romanoff. Sigyn had insisted, but Loki wanted her to be called Nat. Nat smiled at her father and began to set the table.

"Good day?" Loki asked as he kissed Sigyn on the lips.

"A wonderful day," Sigyn said as she placed a soup on the table. Loki sat down on a window bench and admired his family. Nari brought a platter of meat to the table, Nat pulled bread from the oven, and Sigyn dusted off the chairs.

Yes, Loki, the God of Mischief thought. You have one fine family.

End of Part 1